Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hard to heat third floor-Steam

Options
is the next step. Use fiberglass with walls 1-inch thick. The cheap foam insulation they sell at Home Depot will melt off the pipe.

Comments

• Jeff_17
    Jeff_17 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Hard to heat third fllor with steam

Recently, I have been having a difficult time heating my third floor living space with my one-pipe steam system. The boiler is sized correctly, and I do have main vents for BOTH mains. One main feeds one rad to the third floor (no problem with heat). The other, longer main..heats the front part of the house and TWO of the rads to the third floor. All the other rads in the house heat PERFECTLY...no noise...no banging...
    Dan's Lost Art has helped me considerably. But, I cannot seem to figure why this may be occuring. The risers to the rads from the run-out heats without a problem...But it takes the rads a LONG time to get hot. I have tried changing the vents....even used the vent with the nostril like hole...but nothing....should I change the main vents?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Are the main vents

sized properly? Measure their length and diameter and tell us what vent is on each one.
  • Jeff_62
    Jeff_62 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The length and diameter is

19.5 feet of 2.5" main until it turns into a 1.5" dry return...the dry return's lenght is 20 feet, and the main vents I have are on a "t" just as it heads down into the wet return: Two Dole #1's

The rad risers get hot up to the rad without too much of a problem...and then the rad is slow to heat...even the first few sections. One, column style is pitched enough to drain the condensate. The one in the bathroom is a wall-mounted and has pretty much a level pitch...no water hammer.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    are the lines insulated?

hate to ask a dumb question...but... even in the living area? kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jeff_62
    Jeff_62 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    NO...

they are not...
This discussion has been closed.