Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OK to use waste oil for a residential boiler?

Options
Ted Robinson
Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
With the cost of #2 oil moving skyward does anyone have any suggestions on how to filter waste crankcase enough so that it won't clog the oil lines, nozzle filter, etc. Would using the usual cartridge filter before adding oil to the tank clean the oil well enough to prevent equipment problems? (Crankcase oil is cheap enough. The trouble it might cause needs to be understood.)

Comments

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Waste Oil

Waste oil would soot up your boiler causing you to burn even more oil... Time to insulate your attic, close off and seal your ac unit, look into better and newer equitment....but don't put that poo poo in your tank
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Different animal

We have installed more than a few waste oil burners, both boilers and forced air type. Clean Burn makes a good one but any and all of them require a LOT of maintenance. The burners on these units are specifically designed to handle the higher viscosity and inevitable crud present with waste oil products. They also use large bore low pressure nozzles quite a bit different than the nozzle in a regular oil burner. Fuel atomization is done with compressed air typically.

If I were going to use one of these for heating my home or business I would locate it in an out building of some kind and pipe in the hot water.
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options

Most, if not all, waste oil burners are NOT UL approved for use in a dwelling.

Ron Schroeder
This discussion has been closed.