Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

loud vibrating pipes

Options
JK_3
JK_3 Member Posts: 240
you must type faster than me because we were saying the same thing at the same time.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=417&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Bill_70
    Bill_70 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    loud vibrating pipes

I just had my oil boiler serviced a few days ago. Each night since then at about 3am or so we've been awaken by vibrating pipes. It appears to subside after running the hot water for a min or so. It then periodically reoccurs Any ideas?
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Temperature set too high

Maybe the aquastat setting was left too high by mistake ? Did you call the tech back to check it out ?
  • Bill_70
    Options
    Temperature set too high

Yes, they are coming back this evening. Although I do not think the temp was set too high because it does not seem to be cycling on more frequently than usual. I'm obviously not a pro, just want to make sure it's not a major issue and can be corrected.
    Thanks for your reply.
  • Big Ed
    Options
    If temp set right

I am assuming temp was left high because you just had it serviced.The tech would have had to turn on unit to test.Sometimes we would forget to return back.

If temperture not the problem sometimes a toilets tank level valve when it goes, makes the same noise .Running the water would also make it stop .The sound could travel to a different location. To find the bad valve ...As the noise accures shut off each of the toilets supply valves until the noise stops.
  • JK_3
    Options
    Mabye

There is a chance that your boiler has nothing to do with the vibrating pipes. I encounter this problem often and most of the time it is a toilet that needs rebuilding. The reason for the 3am wake up is that its taking that long from the last flush to require make up water.This would also explain why it occasionaly happens at other times.Most of the time the toilet in question is being flushed prior to needing make up water. Most customers don't beleive that the toilet can cause this problem until after it is fixed and the 3am wake-up doesn't happen. This may not be your problem but I would not be surprised if it is.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• Bill_70
    Options
    Toilet adjustment

Thanks for the feedback guys . I had actually adjusted one of the toilets that had been continuously running. Maybe my adjustment caused this problem. Although, I don’t understand why it would be better to put it back in a state of always running.
  • JK_3
    Options
    Wasted water

Millions of gallons of water are wasted every day through toilets that need rebuildingn and faucets that drip. Lets all do our part and properly rebuild those toilets and faucets. We will be helping to conserve water and saving ourselves from those annoying rattling pipes and green stains at the same time.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• Big Ed
    Options
    Typing not my problem.......

.......typing proper English and spelling is :)...

• Big Ed
    Options
    Rebuild

Best off replacing the tank valve and flapper...

• JK_3
    Options

I don't see no problem wit ur english (lol)I 'm stilltypingh wit 2 fingers

This discussion has been closed.