Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam thermostats

Options
Hank_3
Hank_3 Member Posts: 7
This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the source.

Comments

• Hank_3
    Options
    Steam thermostats

We have a 4000sqft three story victorian with a 400,000 btu steam boiler. I have been trying many things to get control of this system over the last six years. The first floor is too cold and the third only gets some heat when its 10 below outside. I have heard of thermostats on the radiators (one pipe) but have not been able to find such a thing.
    We are about ready to convert to two pipe hot water but would like to try one more time to fix what we have.
    Ideas?
  • Tim Gardner
    Tim Gardner Member Posts: 183
    Options

It is hard to imagine how 400,000 btu would not be enough. More likely your system needs tuning. I'd recommend buying one of Dan's books sold on this site. They tell you about what the settings should be and how to get the right vents. They also discus thermostatic radiator valves (TRV's) which is what you are asking about.

I'm just a homeowner, but I found the books helped me immensely. And/or you could contact a professional who is good with steam, such as many of the ones who post here.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    steam thermostats

only 1 thing makes sence thermostatic radiator valves and outdoor reset thermostatic radiator valves from danfoss,honeywell. or tunsall, out door reset from danfoss?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Hank, you don't want to convert that system

unless you're ready to deal with a lot of trouble. Read this:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=22

If your system is 2-pipe, and there are no vents on the radiators, it's probably Vapor. This was the Cadillac of heating in its day and is still one of the best out there. It is easily fixed by someone who knows these systems.

Try the Find a Professional page of this site to locate someone near you who can restore your system. If you're in the Baltimore area, contact me.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    What Steamhead Said....

I've taken on several systems with those kinds of problems and they now heat within 1/2 degree from room to room. I'm in Northern IL if I can be of service

Boilerpro

• Hank_3
    Options

Thanks for the response. I have done further browsing and found some termostatic vents for steam. One was $25 and one was $10. I guess we will start to experiment. Its too bad that the heating season is over, it will be hard to get some good days to test. I found them at Aubuchon Hardware. They are called adjustable air vents. They look just like the old vents with a numbered knob on the bottom.
  • Tim Gardner
    Options

Those sound like regular adjustable vents, not thermostatic ones. Thermostatic ones have a thermostat in them and adust the venting based on temperature. Regular adjustable vents let you set the hole size but it stays the same regardless of the tempearture. Thermostatic valves are more expensive.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Sound like Vent-Rite #1 vents

nice units, but they are for one-pipe or two-pipe air-vent systems. Is this what you have?

"Steamhead"

• Hank_3
    Options
    thermostatic vents

I can't find thermostatic vents for a one pipe steam system. Folks have told me about them many times. I can't seem to find one anywhere.
    I will work with the ones I found to see if they help. Otherwise I may convert to hot water just to keep from going insane.
  • JBee
    JBee Member Posts: 1
    Options
    TRV

Try this for a (TRV)http://www.garnetmidwest.com/displayCategory.do?Id=1934
    its for a one pipe steam system.
  • Tim Gardner
    Options

I'm not sure where to buy them online, but the Danfoss RA200 1PS are described in this pdf:
    http://www.danfossheating.com/products/pdf/RA2000 1PS_datasheet.pdf

A plumbing supply store would have them or be able to order them.

Tim
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    No need to convert, Hank

This is fixable. Have you had your system looked over yet, by someone whose agenda is something other than "convert it or rip it out"? Try the Find a Professional page of this site.

• Hank_3
    Options
    Thanks Tim

Thanks Tim. This is what I was looking for.
This discussion has been closed.