Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Loss Calc/Rad size help?

Options
Sean_14
Sean_14 Member Posts: 1
I also used the Burnham slenderized as a guide, but found this the other day in the Library regarding ARCO radiators:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/192.pdf

Page 8 has the ratings and dimensions. Gives you the same BTU # as Mike did, btw.

Comments

• tony the tech
    tony the tech Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Heatloss calc help/ Radiator size

Hello All. I've been an avid reader of this site for years. I have learned an awful lot and found quite a few resources, but I was wondering if someone would "check my calcs"
    I have BTU calc question. The room in question:
    Bathroom, compleetly remodeled. 8' x 8' by 7.5' high, new plaster walls/ ceiling. one window w 16 sqft of glass (andersen 400 series) Room is 2nd floor over a heated living room. above ceiling is unheated attic space.
    Exterior wall is insulated w R12 insulation. Ceiling has R12 insulation. Old house so not very air tight. Other three walls abut heated rooms. I came up with a heat loss of 5600 BTU (used no insulation factor)

I want to use a smaller Radiator than what is there now. House is steam heat. Rad is 25" high Tube style Rad 5 tubes 6" wide, 10 sections. I come up with 7800 BTU from this Rad??

Do these Calcs seem correct. The reason I want to use a smaller Rad is that the door can't fully open because it hits the radiator. I wanted to try (if I can pull it off) to remove 3 section. Your thoughts.

PS: I might also look for a taller radiator.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Closest rad I find in EDR is a Burnham "slenderized". The "standard" 5-tube rads are significantly wider than 6".

This wasn't an exact match for your size, but close and I come up with 24 sqft EDR. Output @ 240btu/hr (for steam) comes to 5,760 btu/hr.

Regardless, if the room does not currently overheat, it will most likely underheat if you reduce the size significantly. If heat in the room is currently balanced with the rest of the house, you'll probably be better off finding a taller rad of similar EDR rating.
  • Tim_24
    Tim_24 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    It depends...

on where the house is located.
This discussion has been closed.