Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus vs. Weil-McClain

Options
Weezbo
Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
go with the riello and Buderus indirect :)

Comments

• Arnold Lillie
    Arnold Lillie Member Posts: 1
    Options

Which is the better choice in boilers, Buderus G215/6 or a Weil-McClain WGO-6? I have heard good reports about the Buderus and mostly good about the Weil-McClain. The boiler will be going in an 200+ year old house that has used 2000 to 4000 gallons of oil per year using an old converted coal boiler. How do Reillo burners compare with Beckett for quality and reliability?
    Thanks for any help.
  • DazE
    DazE Member Posts: 2
    Options

Why not go with a superior wall hung unit?
    The Baxi HT 330 is perfect for heating and will do all your domestic water as well.
  • DazE
    DazE Member Posts: 2
    Options

Never mind, you need oil.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    buderus

The buderus g215 is a very good 3 pass boiler with some better features that are not on a wiel wgo 6 like a much better insulation package on the boiler its self ,no combustion chamber or target wall refactory to replace ,baffles for the boiler passes to lower stack temp ,no removale of jacket to brush the boiler out and it is a 3 pass confrereation and not single pass pin type boiler .@ bolts on the front make it a piece of cake to completly clean .Like all boilers they must be installed so one can accesssand service them properly .But as for oil fired cast iron the few bucks more it is far better investment .You could also maybe try a better control system for your home included in your boiler replacement like thermostatic raditor valves for the raditors and a out door reset control to help you save a bit more oil .Most of the buderus oil fired boilers i have installed did use less oil then the previous boiler useage and using a indirect fired hot water heater is another way to reduce your oil use less maintance and a much lower stand by lose and great recovery espically when used with a priority relay .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Boilers

I like the Buderus over the Weil McLain for a few reasons.First Buderus uses a push nipple construction over o-ring construction.Second Buderus has been producing their three pass model for at least 10 years while Weil McLain is new on their line.. Buderus is just more proven.

I perfer Riello over a Beckett .For the last 20 years Riello was far more reiliable then a Beckett.Beckett has big time improved with its new parts and is now right up there. It is easyer to change parts on a Beckett over a Riello when it rarely comes up. I feel the Riello produces a slighty tighter more reliable fire..Riello with Beckett a close Second..

Buderus and Riello where far ahead of the U.S. manufactures for years.The U.S. just started to catch up....
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    That's like asking

What's better a Mercedes or a Dodge
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    But

either will get you to your destination.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

I agree. There may be something that everyone is overlooking though. Buderus may be a Mercedes and the WGO may be a dodge but Weil-McLain has their Maybach... It is the Ultra Oil.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    If

the Ultra is a Maybach,what's a Viessmann Vitola? I don't know but I wish I was driving one!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

Bently!!! Actually perhaps that is a bad comparison. I just meant that the Ultra is right up there with the Buderus. I love em both!

• Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    I'm assuming

I'm assuming you have had a heat loss done and a six section boiler is needed. A Buderus G 115, (the smaller) one works well on a chimney. (terrible on direct vent) The 215 tends to soot up the turbulator and often needs a service call midway through the season so the oil saved is made up with a service call. I have seen this with both Riello and Carlin burners each having been set up by the book and using combustion testing equipment. All the other equipment we service does not have these problems.

Leo
This discussion has been closed.