Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crank Case Heaters

Morning!Hi Don! You are right!I install CCH on all refrigeration and most AC systems,because of the 1st and 2nd generation Scroll failurers.Enjoy!

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Crank Case Heaters

What do you think about using CCH's on Scroll compressors? What about on non-Scroll compressors?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    CCH

A great Idea especially when the unit tends to operate in lower ambient conditions or when condensing unit is below the evap. The last thing I would ever want to happen is to slug liquid to the compressor. If the unit has one, use it and if you think you need one, Strap it on.;-) Power consumption is minimal. As far as Recip or scroll,..I would be weary on certain situations in which
    "Dead Heading" the compressor with liquid could happen if the unit was below the Evap.

My .02

Mike T.

• RadPro
    RadPro Member Posts: 90
    CCH

Hi all,

I may be reading too much into the question, but here goes.

When scrolls first came out it was promoted as being able to "handle" liquid slugs and not needing the protection of a crankcase heater as recips do. If anyone remembers the first scrolls out, most oem manufacturers did not recommend one, even with low ambeint kits. One of the reasons was a low oil level and the mechanicals being mostly above that oil level.

After replacing a lot of scrolls from oil and liquid related damages, you now see most everyone recommending CCH for scrolls. Particulary with low ambient kits and scrolls being used for refrigeration purposes. Also what happened to not needing start componants for scrolls also, that has changed thru the years and real life practicallity.

If I am wrong please let me know! I just feel that may be where the question is coming from.

Don in Mo

And as always please forgive the spelling!
This discussion has been closed.