Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rating for steel finned pipe

Options
Does anyone out there know the ratings for steel finned pipe. I have some 1-1/4 & 2" that I am trying to match up with a new boiler and I want to size the boiler to the load. If it matters the piping is enclosed in a 14" high heavy steel enclosure mounted on the wall. Comments or even guesses (as long as educated) are welcome. Dan -- I looked in your E.D.R. book and nothing is shown.

Thanks.

Jerry

Comments

• Brad White_2
    Brad White_2 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Check out

Vulcan, Ted Reed Thermal, Slant-Fin, Sterling or any number of other current manufacturer's web sites. They are bound to have comparable selections. Not all of a given size and fin spacing will match necessarily but you will have a place to start.

Keep in mind that the application (enclosure configuration and especially height) play a role, so find one close to what you have.

If in doubt, use bare element ratings to keep it apples to apples as a basis.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    Finny stuff

Vulcan 2 inch fintube data from old drawings give us

226.8 EDR for 2 row of 24 ft inside an enclosure

126 EDR for 1 row of 24 ft

214 EDR for 3 row of 18 ft

113.4 EDR for 2 row of 12 ft

This data is consistent with what is found in modern literature of hot water tubes at 212 F. For heat transfer with steam, the area of the fins has more to do than the size of the pipe.
This discussion has been closed.