Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maintenance on McDonell 47-2

Options
Tom_97
Tom_97 Member Posts: 2
I have a McDonell 47-2 Water Feeder/Low Water Cutoff. In the 6 years I've been here, it's never been cleaned or inspected inside. I don't know what happened before I got here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was never cleaned or inspected since it was installed, whenever that was. What do you think about that?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's 5 years past due

for maintenance. All float type water feeder/low water cutoffs should be disassembled & inspected once a year. McDonnell also recommends flushing out the strainer chamber, & replacing the strainer & gasket yearly.

If it's the newer 47-2 (hexagonal piping connections)- they recommend replacing the cartridge assembly yearly. But, that gets just a bit pricey.

Don't let another year go by w/o servicing the unit.

• John_102
    John_102 Member Posts: 119
    Options
    MM 47-2

> I have a McDonell 47-2 Water Feeder/Low Water

> Cutoff. In the 6 years I've been here, it's

> never been cleaned or inspected inside. I

> don't know what happened before I got here, but I

> wouldn't be surprised if it was never cleaned or

> inspected since it was installed, whenever that

> was. What do you think about that?

Tom -

You can get maint. docs from MM's website. If you've modestly adept you can do this, otherwise FAP. The parts are kind of pricey, but it's an important control, so what's REALLY pricey?

You also ought to blow down the control weekly during heating season.

Peace & good luck.
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tom_97
    Tom_97 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi,
    I looked up that website and saw the maintenance proceedures. I have had a service contract with my oil supply company for most of the last six years. Do they generally do that? (I guess mine don't.)

Wouldn't you think they would at least mention it? Maybe offer to do it for a fee?

The maintenance doesn't look too hard. I was thinking about doing it myself after the heating season is completely over in another month (so if I screw it up I'll just be out of hot water for a bit.) I'm pretty handy. Is this something a handyman could or ought to tackle?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,765
    Options
    47-2 service

Tom, Do you flush it weekly as recommended. If so, good. 2nd, if you try the maint. yourself, make sure it is scraped out well when servicing, you will need new gaskets. Also when done cleaning, make sure to thoroughly test unit for proper shut off and fill operation. Also all pig tails and feed pipes to low water cutoff, pressure controls and safety reliefs should be checked for blockages. PS, I would recommend you have a service agency due all above work although. Good luck, Tim
This discussion has been closed.