Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator Pumps Dose it pull or push or suct

Options
Steve Ebels_3
Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
What a mess.

I can think of three possibilities.............

1. The installer can't read

2. Weil McClain doesn't put enough pictures in their manuals

3. The manual was "lost" and therefore never consulted.

What a cryin' shame. Whoever did that should never be allowed to touch a pipe wrench or a torch again.

I am absolutely flabbergasted by the venting. What a hoot!

PS: If I'm looking at the piping correctly, they have 2 0011's on the main, one pumping into and one pumping away??

What's the flow noise sound like?

Comments

• Moses
    Moses Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Pumps..Push or Pull or suck?

I finnaly found the rite answer for the old aged question.

Dose a circulator pump push or pull or suck the water??

Me and Kal went today to trubbleshoot a brand new install and they don't have enough hot water. The boiler was "short cycleing", the piping was poorly install, the pumps were not sized properly. The plumber decited the reason that they have no hot water is because it needs another pump, so he installed Taco 011 on the inlet side of the Weil-McLane Ultra boiler. So if the pump is BLACK, then it pulls the water and if it GREEN, it pushes the water. See attached photos.

How many errors can you spot in this install?

Dan said it the best; If it works...its fine and if not..it SUCKS....
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    OMG

To start with, metal venting? The ultra is a mod-con, high efficiency that uses PVC venting. The condensate drip on the cover told me that was a problem.

I can't tell, but is it set up with Pri-sec pumping? Probably not....

Is there a P-trap on the condensate? You know, the one where the pump is tied into?

That's just a start.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    obvoiusly ...

he never once opened up the instructions...damn shame...a do over is order...kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ultra

Obviously you`ve got your work cut out for ya here!!
    What a "screw-up" of a perfectly good boiler.

Dave
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Options
    !

I think I'm going to cry! Someone should be arrested.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    i dunno Moses...to me it looks like ..

this is where the rubber hits the spirovent!

that is an intriguing means for flow control... :)
    the guy seems to have lost the instructions as Ebels says ...buh i think the guy had recently read something about reverse engineering.. or, there may be something to have the slowest flow available based sole on delta P controlled by TWO wet rotor pumps in opposite directions...

You may have to hold off on the sawzall though until Brad or Mike explains the actual flow based on the density of fluids at designed Temp based on flow rate through the heat exchanger... Just saying...it may have some redeeming qualities never heretofore known to mankind. Basically, "Revealed" only unto the previous plumber :)

the venting is "unique " ...the one vent seems to have been inspired by Archimedes screw...
  • Hey Moses,

I`m curious, I see the water heater, then the Ultra, but where does the other 6 or 7"? go off to?(left).

Dave
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    \"i know what he was doing...\" said the builder..

i said, that's imposable, cause "he himself" didn’t know what he was doing... there are simply no words!!!

wait-wait - i do a quick sketch for the builder of the correct pump layout - oh he's says, that's the way it is in the instructions - now at this point Phil Donahue would drop the mike!!!

like leno always says - "this is too easy..."
  • Moses
    Moses Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Bad install

There are 2 gas fired air handlers. There is a famous quote "if everything else fails...read the INSTRUCTION!" which he didn,t, It is a shame because it is a highend customer, and he did not get his money worth. Well we gave him a price to correct all this errors.
    Stay Tuned

Moses
  • Dave_4
    Options
    no noise at all...

cause the ultra after about 30 says "fuh-ged-abow-eet - i am ow-da here"
  • Dave_4
    Options
    this one is a shoo-in for siggi's book of shame!!!

This discussion has been closed.