Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-Mclain Ultra

Options
Josh_10
Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
Most jurisdictions don't require compliance with ASME standards. Generally just Universals Mechanical Code. In our state we don't have to comply with ASME unless you exceed 300,000 BTUH.

You will find that the boiler has very good built in high limit control features though. Additionally most residential boiler manufacturers don't include a manually resetable high limit control. It is not really a standard component.

Comments

• Kevin_54
    Kevin_54 Member Posts: 30
    Options

I was reading through the installation book for a Weil-Mclain Ultra boiler and read a note that says "If installation is to comply with ASME or Canadian requirements, an additional high temperature limit is needed. Install control in supply piping between boiler and isolation valve." My question is why dosen't it come as part of the factory installed electronic aquastat? and would a "strap-on" type aquastat work or should it be submerged in a well?
  • Josh_10
    Options

Most jurisdictions don't require compliance with ASME standards. Generally just Universals Mechanical Code. In our state we don't have to comply with ASME unless you exceed 300,000 BTUH.

You will find that the boiler has very good built in high limit control features though. Additionally most residential boiler manufacturers don't include a manually resetable high limit control. It is not really a standard component.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    some locals state this is a requirement for boilers Over

a specified BTU/H rating others require it installed on any residential boilers in a commercial environment...i have not read the Canadian codes...however look for what i say in the interpretation of the code.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    The biggest word

Is "If".

Most residential installs don't need to meet ASME. Over 3 units. Commercial applications, especially where the public is exposed.

Why factory install something that's rarely needed ?

BTW, I don't think you'll find a manual reset high limit in strap-on :)
  • Dread
    Dread Member Posts: 4
    Options

Not yet, but it's coming.
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Check this out...

The Honeywell L4006H-1004 is a strap-on manual reset high limit. I have used them many times to satisfy the powers that be over the boiler worlds....a simple two wire hookup to the hard lock out terminals on the Ultra will give a O12 error, I believe, off of the top of my head. Of course the Ultra will lock out on it's own, somewhere just under 200....even hard one doubting Thomas that made me dial the limit back to 190 and run the boilers to that to prove that it would go into hard lockout. All this seems like major over kill when you are dealing with a boiler that will lock it's self out on a dry fire before it damages the boiler... Yup, and I can say first hand that it will do that... accidents DO happen....

Floyd
  • Josh_10
    Options

We can't use em around here except as a limit for air handlers. It would be nice though sometimes, but I can see the logic behind not allowing them on boilers.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    I stand corrected :)

BUT, if I needed a MRHL, I wouldn't use a strap on. It's too easy for anybody to unstrap and leave it dangle, never to trip again. My experience with bldg maintenance handymen dictates that I install controls so they are more difficult to defeat.
This discussion has been closed.