Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

back from a long tangent

Options
Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
Glad to see an old name come back, Jerry. Also, especially glad that you can be philosophical about your journey in the Valley.... not sure I would take it so well.

Brad
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• Jerry Scharf_4
    Jerry Scharf_4 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    where did that crazy Jerry guy go

I worked in high tech in the Silicon Valley for 20+ years before becoming interesting in building a house, green issues and HVAC. Last March, I got a call from a friend, he said I needed to stop playing with my house and come help him build a next generation computer network securoty system. It was a save the world kind of thing, and I'm a sucker for those kinds of projects. So I talked to the boss on a Monday, started reading things about botnets and the like Monday night. I started work one week later, but sat in on three days of meeting before I officially started. Many months of whiteboards, architecture documents, patent applications and prototypes later, we were getting some real traction with the project.

A year later I had done all that I had promised to do and more. The management team had cooled on the idea and someone with more desire for $s than desire to solve customer problems and technical issues said I needed to drop what I was doing and start doing this other thing. I politely said no a couple times, then asked for a transfer. When the transfer issue came up, it was approved by the CEO, then she said she didn't approve and and it got blocked. A year of my life working on a great project with a real chance of succeeding is now down the tube. Such is life "in the valley."

So I'm back to the list which I have missed. I am cooling it for a month or so, than I will start looking for something interesting to do in green building. My resume is a bizarre mix of things that makes no sense. I'll just see what comes next, as I have done from my entire working life.

jerry
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,208
    Options
    Glad you are back!

I'm looking forward to more of your shine bright wisdom.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Life is Beautiful like that *~/:)

you went and did more than was wanted and did it better than they needed :) sounds familiar for some reason .... well, that is good news . Did you get a chance to make some hydronic cooling walls for the computers?
This discussion has been closed.