Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

price of copper

Options
Yup, sure is...

Comments

• john_156
    john_156 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    price of copper

what is the price of a 10'stick of red stripe 3/4" copper in your town.....i just paid 37.50....can this be right???
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    ten feet

of 3/4" type 'm' copper was $18.44 on 15 March 2007

Same length of 1" type 'L' was $31.50 and half inch type 'L' was $15.20, both on 12 April.

Prices vary nearly day to day here.

• I just called my wholesale supplier here in Hartford CT and they quoted me $2.77 a foot for 3/4" "L" copper. If you are buying "L" copper retail, $37 doesn't seem too out of wack. Wholesale however...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    D. C. price,

this AM, for 3/4" M hard copper. $1.88. That includes 5.75% tax.

• Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    going up again

I paid 1.42/ft for 3/4 M in early Feb. 07; now it is 1.82/ft. Seems like gasoline and copper rise and fall on the same swells.

• Is that what you call "red stripe"? Oh, $2.77 does not include tax (6%).
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    China & Hedge/Pension Funds

Copper has risen over 50% since mid February. Demand exceeds supply at the moment plus alot of fund investing is driving the pricing up. Similar situation to last summer although last year also had several strikes at some of the larger copper mines in Chile.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yep.

Red is M. Blue is L.

• Thanks...

the next question is where is he buying his $37.50 M pipe? That IS enormous!
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    Sorry I missed it.

Missed the price spike this time before we stocked up on it and ductwork, Better than buying Stocks!!!!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Joe_49
    Joe_49 Member Posts: 4
    Options

3/4 red (M) was $16.11 on 4/10 at my local HD. Your price sounds like you were charged for blue (L)

• That's the impression I get too.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Member Posts: 38
    Options
    and dont forget

That green is K
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    I thought

Yellow was the color of gas lines?
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Options
    copper tube colors

Gas line (like steam pipe) is gray-black (and heavy! GRIN!), it's just the printing on the copper tube that's red, blue, yellow, etc.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Yes

Copper is up substantially since Jan. However it had just as large a drop from Sept06 through Jan07. How come there weren't any price cuts in that time frame and in fact everyone is paying more now than when copper was at it's previous high last May? Price goes up you pay more,price goes down they make more.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Ray_13
    Ray_13 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    copper

yeah, it seems they have no problem raising the price to us instantly, but they don't drop it to us when it goes down. My favorite supply house b.s. line is "we held back as long as we could"

ray
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Always

"working off the high price inventory" How come they never have to work off any low price inventory? I wish they would let me know when they buy,I could short the futures and never lose!

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Options
    Price determined when shipped

Understand your sentiments. It's not alwasy so simple. We can place an order for materials, have the manufacturer tell us price in time of effect of shipment. Basically, they tell us the price when they ship it.

Or better yet, how about they just cancel your backorders. You place a factory order, you wait 4-6 weeks or longer to get shipped, they ship 15 of 20 items, and just cancel the back order on you. Now, you have to try and fill what you didn't get at that time, likely to be the highest market pricing.

Or they tell say, you can only place "firm orders"- simply put, you can't cancel them even if all of a sudden there is copper available and the pricing starts to soften.

When there are such wide market swings, it can be a double edged sword for the wholesaler.
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

My local hardware store had 10' sticks for 11.03 a stick. Bought every stick they had and asked if there was any in the back!
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Options
    Smart

Move
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    I called a

Supply house and asked about 1"M. 3.51 a foot. I called around, almost everyone was just about the same. Found one supply house at 2.75. I stocked up. Good gravy. You gotta watch out. WW

• Yes you do, I've been pricing all my materials out job by job for well over a year now. I'm glad to see it's pulled back a little. Just about 8 months ago SCRAP was paying ~$3.00 a pound. It's down now but I'd need to call to see where it is today. It causes me to drift back in my memories to the time I scrapped out this old mechanical room and when we ripped the lagging off the 4 x 8 ducts we found copper. Is was only $0.50 then but still we thought we'd struck gold! :)

• FYI, I just scrapped some copper yesterday. They paid $2.65/lb for #2. Steel is at 4 cents. They also paid 70 cents for the stripped A/C condensers they call A/A. The average 3 ton package unit scrapped out properly will net you about $75. ;)
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

I have been checking all of our mom and pop hardware stores in a 20 mile radius. Half are selling atleast 20% cheaper than suppliers.

Un-tapped resource.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Options

Thats because they don't buy copper that often. They resell based on what they paid. They are potentially unaware of just how quickly the market has changed.

I check the comex 1-2 times a day now. I use this site

http://www.futuresource.com/charts/charts.jsp?s=RHG&o=&a=D&z=800x550&d=medium&b=bar&st=
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    long live mom and pop

Prices frequently very competitive these days; especially on ABS and PVC fittings; as well as gas fittings.
This discussion has been closed.