Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding a branch to a steam system

Options
Al Letellier_9
Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
Should not be a problem with spacing as long as the 2' main and the boiler size can handle another radiator.No need for a welder if you can cut and thread pipe in place. Most heating pros will have that kind of equipment. If you have the know-how, you can always rent the gear to do the work, but......

Comments

• chuck_6
    chuck_6 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Adding a branch to a steam system

One of the branches (1 1/4") off our 2" steam main goes into our kitchen. This is all black iron pipe. A previous owner had added a ceiling radiator in the garage, using the same branch. We currently have a 12-section recessed radiator in the kitchen. I would like to add a bigger radiator, but am constrained by the ceiling radiator in the garage. I would like to add another 1 1/4" branch to handle the ceiling radiator. It would be about 3-4 inches from the kitchen radiator branch. Is that too close to the other branch or not? Is adding a branch something that most heating people do, or do I need to call a welder? Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
  • chuck_6
    chuck_6 Member Posts: 107
    Options

Thanks Al. The 2" main can support the extra branch. I'll get a pro in. I wasn't certain if this is something can most pros can do.

Chuck
This discussion has been closed.