Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Adding a branch to a steam system

Al Letellier_9
Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
Should not be a problem with spacing as long as the 2' main and the boiler size can handle another radiator.No need for a welder if you can cut and thread pipe in place. Most heating pros will have that kind of equipment. If you have the know-how, you can always rent the gear to do the work, but......

Comments

• chuck_6
    chuck_6 Member Posts: 107
    Adding a branch to a steam system

One of the branches (1 1/4") off our 2" steam main goes into our kitchen. This is all black iron pipe. A previous owner had added a ceiling radiator in the garage, using the same branch. We currently have a 12-section recessed radiator in the kitchen. I would like to add a bigger radiator, but am constrained by the ceiling radiator in the garage. I would like to add another 1 1/4" branch to handle the ceiling radiator. It would be about 3-4 inches from the kitchen radiator branch. Is that too close to the other branch or not? Is adding a branch something that most heating people do, or do I need to call a welder? Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
  • chuck_6
    chuck_6 Member Posts: 107

Thanks Al. The 2" main can support the extra branch. I'll get a pro in. I wasn't certain if this is something can most pros can do.

Chuck
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!