Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam, water, or Rennai's?

Options
I own two properties in Maine. One a vacation home is a 145 year old victorian with an existing radiator system (no boiler though) and i am trying hard to figure out which would be the most economical way to go on re-heating the house. It is a 2.5 story house of about 3000 square feet. I will only need to heat it through december when i will close the house for the season. Some are telling me to take out the radiators (there's been no boiler in the house for over 10 years) others are telling me to keep them in. I don't know what to do and need some unbiased or even biased help with some good explanations. HELP!

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    what to do?

John, I am a heating contractor and have a consulting business here in Maine. I am in the Portland area and would be glad to be of any assistance. If you would like to discuss it, contact me at aclheatdoctor@verizon.net or call 207-767-8080
    ACL P&H Inc.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Is this

a steam or hot-water radiator system?

If you're not sure, post a few pics of the radiators. We can ID it for you.

If it's steam, it would be a natural for a vacation home since you'd only have to drain the boiler and a few pipes in the basement. The rest of the system drains dry when it shuts down.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.