Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe burst

Options
mike faust
mike faust Member Posts: 58
Has any one ever seen a lightning strike? We visited a new customer today who claimed his heat pump was struck by lightning. The 7/8 copper vapor line was pealed open about 1' back from the outdoor unit connection. It was between a coupling and an elbow. The break in the line was about 6" long and as clean as if sliced with a razor and pealed open. It also left a crater about the size of a sinder block in the mulch and soft dirt that lie undernieth. It is a r 410 system.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,112
    Options
    lighting

Had a mits dual mr.slim get hit a few years back suprising the breaker did not pop but it fried all the electronics in the ourdoor unit and also had a hole blowen on a piece of csst gas flex crap i was not the one who installed it but i did the repair and this was way before there no pending csst lawsuit over bonding csst peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Lightin Strikes

Sure...It happens.At first you wonder what went wrong .I would guess you first blamed the high pressures of a 410 system.. Keeps you working..

I also seen a few chimneys blown a part from a strike ... One of them in a old home was built with a cork screw sprial in the attic..Some say they were built that way to keep witches out ,others say it was so rain would not put out the fire ...Any way the insurance co. opted to pay for a new direct vent boiler and hot water heater...
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Thanks

for the memory, Mike.

I was standing under my garage overhang during a storm when lightning came down a tree, across my metal dog run, lite up the entire aluminum sided house, blew out a trench at least two feet deep between two trees at least 15 feet apart and only damaged my cable feed.

I could trace the path of the strike later on by the burn marks on the two trees.

Scary stuff.

Jack
This discussion has been closed.