Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

utica boilers 95M

Options
<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=331&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Tom Bradd
    Tom Bradd Member Posts: 34
    Options
    utica boilers 95M

Has anyone used this boiler ? IF so how long ? How have they been running ? Any troubles ? Pro's Con's ? any help would be great as Im thinking of buying one. High Temp Air handler, indirect tank and small baseboard rad. Thank in Advance
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Aluminum - potential problems years ahead

This boiler uses the Honeywell MCBA logic board like the Prestige, Weil McClain Ultra, and Dunkirk(sister co)Q95M-200. The Prestige heat exchanger, from Triangle tube, is made from 439 S/S while the others are made from Aluminum. While the efficiency ratings are marginally better, I think the Prestige would be a better choice in terms of longevity and future maintenance.

The aluminum casting pins will oxidize over time with a white crusty powdery substance, similar to what you would see on the battery cable connections of your car. I believe its aluminum oxide - similar to ferrous oxide (rust). Over time, the pins will cake up reducing air flow, which can trigger all sorts of problems with flow senors, and reduce heat transfer. The boiler casting will need to be serviced/cleaned. Some boiler manufacturers will have a clause stating the warranty can be voided if regular scheduled maintenance is not performed.

Compare these warranty/maintenance requirements to the Prestige. Besides costing less, it is more likely to require less maintenance in the future. The Prestige uses a vertical heat exchanger. Condensdate drips down through the baffles - it's self cleaning.

One side point - the type of heating load you are putting on this boiler will keep you from getting the high 95% ratings they advertise. You will only get those high efficiencies with low return temps and wide delta T's - something you are not likely to see if you have if an air handler as your primary heating emitter.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Who is...

Tash Sales? Do they sell to homeowners as well as contractors?

Curious minds wander, no?

ME
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Mark

Tash is a local supply house,the only one that stocks any quantity of Propress fittings to the best of my knowledge.I just found out they also stock Tekmar,again one of very few that do.
    Given their off the beaten path location,I would guess they sell less to HO's than their competition.
    Nice guys and good people to do business with!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Tom Bradd
    Tom Bradd Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Thank you

Glen thank you for your help with this boiler. I think I will try the Prestige. I know I wont see real high 95 % but I still want a condensing boiler. Munchkin I might look at as well. "ME" Im in Canada so the boiler is an Olsen ECR. They dont sell to the Homeowner. At least HomeDepot has not bought them yet.
    Brad
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Options
    No issue

We are a plumbing wholesaler concentrating on whats be hind the walls - no major fixture line. Heating and rough-in plumbing. We will sell a homeowner - but we don't solicit any retail business - no showroom - no yellowpage listings etc. We are located in an industrial park area so homeowner traffic is very minimal.

If a homeowner does purchase,they are charged at a higher price than the trades. If it is a large ticket item such as a boiler or water heater, we strongly recommend using an experienced licensed contractor.

• Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    I put in 2

Utica UB95M-200 boilers and I really like them. I have been using Utica for 20+ years, they make a great quality product with a good service dept. Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Options
    Energy star Rating a plus

I went to a manufacturers training session for this boiler recently. They clearly talked to the trades to help design their product. The advertising is great and they have the energystar rating. I heard today from a customer, that several townships on Eastern Long Island may require new installs be energy star rated equiptment in 2008. That will be a big boost for the Dunkirk / Utica Modcon.

I detest the desk jockey engineers. What brillant scientist came up with the wiring access design for the Weil McClain Ultra. Ever come across one of these installed against a wall and have to get at the wiring terminals? Ok if you have very very small fingers - something most of us don't have.

On the Utica/Dunkirk, I particulary liked the accy outlet which can be used to power the condensate pump or just hook up a drop lite to help you see inside the unit. Its the little things that make an installation easier

My compliments to them for a well marketed , well engineered product. I just wish it wasn't made of aluminum. I smell trouble in the next few years with all the aluminmum casted products.

Only one major thing missing from all of these MCBA board boilers, - there is no flow measurement available like there is from the wallhung water heaters. Truly this would be very useful information when trying to troubleshoot an installation.

It's a good product, great specs, a little on the pricey side but should serve you well
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Got it...

was just curious due to web site saying something to the affect of homeowner orientation. Personally, I refuse to do business wiht wholesalers who cater to the general public, but that's just my way of supporting the people that support me...

Welcome to Dans Wall.

ME
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    The UticA

IS ALSO A VERTICAL HEATEXCHANGER.

Fyi
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    Glenn..I think the Al HE is ok..

Dunkirk has a long history with cast Aluminum HE. They have been for almost 15 years now since the introduction of the Q and Quantum Leap boilers.

Warranty issues can do a company in faster than slow sales. I'd like to think that the methodology and testing has shown no real trouble or they would have jumped off the Cast Al ship too.

I have been using the Q100 (Olsen ) ones here for about 4 years and there are zilch issues at all.

Well thought out units, easy to install, easy to service
  • Dogman
    Dogman Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Won't Recommend the 95M

Have one of these installed in a new construction home.  Both gas valve and fan failed after 18 months.  ECR wouldn't cover under warranty, despite efforts of one of their best tech/installers in the biz. The tech charged only for the parts ...$800 as he knew this was BS.  The boiler 'whistles' all the time.   Would not recommend
This discussion has been closed.