Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kohler Type 22FC-7 Cast Iron Coal Boiler

Options
I've just been asked to quote a job to replace the above boiler. I would just like to use the boiler plate information to size the boiler but the information on it is unfamiliar to me. Is there someone who can explain this info to me?
It is retrofitted from coal to oil fired, hydronic, convector loop system with a 9" chimney flue. There are cast iron convectors, which I've never seen this style before, four column radiators and copper baseboard. The house is 1300 sq.ft. and built in the 1930's.
The plate reads as follows:
Kohler Type 22 FC-7;
Valve Capacity 178lb/hr (Is this a blow off value?);
Gal. Oil 1.75;
Steam 490 (Is this sq.ft. of steam?);
Oil Fired Baffled (?);
175deg Water 785 (What hot water value is this?);
Kohler Co. Kohler Wis. USA.

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    why would you...

size the new boiler off the old one? Do a heatloss on what the size the house is...pref. using an approved IBR calculation. The fact that there are cast rads AND copper baseboard says that there are more problems than just the boiler needeing to be swapped out...

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Heat Loss

I strongly encourage you to perform a heat loss calculation to size the new boiler. The old boiler is very likely oversized. There is a "Heat Loss Calcs" link at the top of the page where you can download Slant/Fin's heat loss program for free. Right now they probably have something like 70btu/sf of boiler output. I bet the boiler is oversized by a factor of nearly 2.

This is your opportunity to correctly size the boiler and have a very pleased customer.:-)
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    you are interested in the knowledge of what these things mean

ok. you would likely not get much help in replacing the boiler based on that knowledge....instead you would likely get more accurate information based on experience as the right way to go abou what you are considering....

here is an example....depending on the burner and type of fuel oil...it is possible to have 141,000X1.75 BTU/H which would equate to like 250K btus ...in put....and even if it was 50 percent reliable number your out put would be near 100+ BTU/H out put per sq ft .....you are better off figuring the amount of heat loss adding an 8% fudge factor and seeing what might be available in or near that range.. that range might be closer to 80,000 out put.... much smaller stack much lower losses through the stack smaller boiler less of a foot print within the mechanical room, likely better efficentcy numbers...and allowing the stack to be further insulated thereby lowering stack temps even more...newer burners fire with slightly higher oil pressures and that too will show up in the owners wallet every purchase of fuel....this is only to illustrate why you might not want to even consider the current boiler plate numbers and what they may or may not mean...

Andrew...i'm thinking 3 *~/:)
This discussion has been closed.