Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best way to maintain/clean a New Yorker CGS?

Options
Alex_12
Alex_12 Member Posts: 1
I'm a first time homeowner and a bit of a DIY-er.

What's the best way to maintain and/or clean a New Yorker CGS (Gas powered, steam) boiler?

I think it's only about 3 or 4 years old but it has a ton of sludge in it.

My plumber said to clean it by turning ON the heat and slowly feeding water (by slightly opening the manual feed ball valve) and opening the exit valve at the top of the boiler (also where the safety valve is attached - I'm not sure about the correct terminology) and letting the water level slowly reach the top and blow out the hot dirty water. He said the scum will float to the top and will spew out the valve (I have done this once) without introducing much fresh (oxygenated) water into the boiler.

OR I have heard elsewhere that the correct way to do it is:

While the boiler is OFF, open the valve at the bottom of the boiler (again I don't know the correct terminology for this) and drain the water out of the boiler and then refill it to the proper level. This would obviously bring all the sludge at the bottom out, but it sounds to me that it would introduce a ton of fresh water (and oxygen) into the boiler. I'm also worried about the issue of cleaning it out and causing leaks.

What is the proper way to do this and how often should I do it?

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    If there's a lot of sludge

the best thing to do might be to flush it out with a hose. We often have to do it this way. This is not for the faint of heart- have a pro do it.

I don't recommend the use of any kind of chemicals to clean a boiler. These can be difficult to get rid of completely, and using the wrong ones can damage some boilers.

Maybe you need a good steam man rather than a plumber. Have you tried the Find a Professional page of this site?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • do you have the

Do you have the owner's manuel for this boiler? I would get the book on steam heating from this site to eduate yourself better with the system and meantime find a REAL boiler pro to help ya walk thru this process... Its not for everyone but ur plumber needs to be educated as well..
This discussion has been closed.