Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pinhole in csst

Options
Ed_26
Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
Yup! That's why I won't use it, & also why I stopped using the uncoated gas flexes as well. I prefer to sleep at nite.

Comments

• mb_2
    mb_2 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    pinhole in csst

went back to a job i gas piped with csst a year ago during a remodel. plumber ran a new hot line above the csst. some flux (acid flux)from one of his joints dripped on the exposed tubing near a fitting and needless to say it developed a pinhole. installer beware!

mark
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,097
    Options
    Just another reason that we use ir VERY sparingly

Scotty Milne mentioned a problem with soap from leak testing that caused a reaction too. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Kevin Pulver
    Kevin Pulver Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Some brands

> Scotty Milne mentioned a problem with soap from

> leak testing that caused a reaction too. Mad

> Dog

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 299&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

such as Tite Flex/Gas Tite specify that the plastic jacket extend into the brass fitting. Others don't work the same way, or sloppy installers do it incorrectly. I'm sure there are potential problems with every installation but it looks like it's here to stay. I don't like the looks of it compared to hard piping, but it definitely has its benefits and place. Kevin
  • Kevin Pulver
    Kevin Pulver Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Some brands

such as Tite Flex/Gas Tite specify that the plastic jacket extend into the brass fitting. Others don't work the same way, or sloppy installers do it incorrectly. I'm sure there are potential problems with every installation but it looks like it's here to stay. I don't like the looks of it compared to hard piping, but it definitely has its benefits and place. Kevin
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,040
    Options
    demonizing?

I have seen far more leaks from black iron than I have CSST. Tell me which is worse: acid flux spilled onto a stainless steel gas line or an installer putting pipe dope on a ground union or flare that both end up leaking? How about that pipe that slips from your hand and the thread gets buggered up?

My father used to say, "people who live in mud houses shouldn't scoot the hose". I see far more improper piping with black iron that I will ever see with CSST. So, statistically, which represents a greater threat to public safety?

Both cases are really the fault of unqualified/ improperly trained people who are working unsupervised and their work is going uninspected by both a qualified internal quality assurance person and the AHJ. If you want to find something to blame, look at the root cause and not demonize any one component. 98% of all problems come from people and not the equipment or materials they use.
  • mikea23
    mikea23 Member Posts: 224
    Options

well put Bob
  • Mike Miller
    Mike Miller Member Posts: 22
    Options
    csst

Poor installation can screw up any piping system, its what happens after that is a concern to me and why I am very sparing in my use of csst. I will use it under a proscribed set of circumstances, such as above a finihed ceiling in a remodel of service call. But only if I feel confident that nothing is going to be done around it after I have finished. The following story was relayed to me by a supply house owner her in town. A new eight unit condo complex was gas piped in csst, by code and inspected. A new owner was in his garage screwing in some big hooks for his bicycle and ran one of them right through the csst. It was caught quickly enough, and no damage or loss of life was experienced, but you have to really wonder which is the best. Now to be completly fair I have seen split seams and pinholes in black steel pipe and mallable fittings, so when it comes to gas pipe installtions I take every precaution and test everything I can. Mike

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • mikea23
    mikea23 Member Posts: 224
    Options

If the CSST was installed correctly the pipe would have moved over to the side and not got a hole in it. and if it was inside a stud it would have bin gaurded.

I am not saying that CSST does not have its problems but all piping systems do. You can say what if this happens or what if that happens with anything and find flaws.

Mike
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    csst holes

Most holes we see in csst come from lightning hits, had some from nail guns. The bonding lawsuit settlement has the cost of the csst install going up because of the need for the electrician to run the #6 wire to the panel. The other problem we see with csst is the various connection systems used among brands. We have seen the wrong connections made. And what does it cost to try to find the wardflex tubing and you have tightflex fittings? With the noise problems, bonding issues, repair issues we have backed away from csst unless there is absolutely no way to run black iron pipe. I personally will use it for open basements or under open decks only.
This discussion has been closed.