Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wet soot

Options
targetman
targetman Member Posts: 105
I have a WGO-3 that is full of wet soot. Looks like tar. I'm looking for the best solution for cleaning because a brush won't do the job. I'm thinking about taking it outside and trying to burn it off.

Comments

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Burn Out

We use to burn them out but today I would be leary .The Fire Marshals around here now carry guns ....

Any good degreaser will take the better part of the creasult build up off...The chimmey should be cleaned too.. The rest will burn off once you astabilsh a good fire...

I once lit off a wet unit during the night...The smoke pipe turned cherry red and flames and sparks where comming out of the chimmney...I lit a romeing candle..

What scares me is ....if the fire snuffs out ,the system fill with fumes...Thats when I would take a stage left... KA-BANG!!!!!!!
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

How old is system? I tell customers i will clean and light and have them sign off that we are NOT responsible for any and all damages to unit and/or structure. That usually gets them to replace unit. If it is an older unit, fire that results in unit where fire shouldn't be csn be very bad.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    It's \"cold-soaked\"

that's why they make "soot saws". Something went wrong with the burner, or it may be an installation problem.

But if you're not a pro, you don't want to mess with this. In that case, try the Find a Professional page of this site. If you're in the Baltimore area, contact us.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260
    Options

Soot saw and new fire box and new smoke pipe. Then you should be able to fire it off with a cpl fire extinguishers handy.
  • jg2700_2
    jg2700_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    boiler

if its realy oil soaked soot saw it replace chamber if you can get a brush through it than dump some speedy dry in to chmber area and scrub it around to soak up any moisture.you can also spray dry chem ext lightly coating boiler chamnber area and sections this will control fire when burning off.when all cleaned up install new chamber. this is if is realy oil soaked up. jg
  • Jim Davis_7
    Jim Davis_7 Member Posts: 67
    Options

Dawn dishwashing detergent is supposed to be one of the best. It had been used to clean up oil spills in the ocean.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

If unit is more then 10 years old,i still say replace unit. How much is all the labor and parts going to cost compared to a new unit. Compare that price with your increased insurance premiums after fire department puts out chimney fire.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

WOW, replace the boiler because its dirty? -you must work on comission // open it up pull the burner,hose it out --replace the chamber depending on the original problem-(who knows it may be the chimney liner dropped,or pump pressure regulator,fallen chamber etc.) it will be 1/6th the cost -of replacement ----What if you sold them a new boiler and turns out it was the chimney? what a disservice that would be -- ////get a pro in there
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    wet boiler

I agree with the soot saw and speedy dry. I've dumped some right down into the flue passages after using the saw. Clean it as best you can, fire it without a target wall to burn it off, then install the new wall. I don't know where you are, but here in Maine I have never been refused by the local FD to stand by while we light it off. Had one so bad a couple years ago, that we used it as a training session for the local fire department. They had an engine and ladder and about 25 guys in the basement. I had the opportunity to show them how a burner works and what to do to secure one. Even caught one young firefighter who got nervous during the burn off and almost hit the 180* boiler with a charge of his CO2 extinguisher. The look on his face when I told him he almost killed all of us was priceless.....he'll never make that mistake again...I hope!!
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    i would agree.

that is like throwing out the toaster because the toast burnt.

"who cares why ? just get rid of it."

Click Find a pro. is good Advise.

This discussion has been closed.