Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System pressure

Options
Ryan_14
Ryan_14 Member Posts: 8
We have a system that we have inherited. A copper tube boiler heating an indirect heater which holds agricultural product. The system pump is on the return. We are getting a 10 pound difference in pressure on the inlet side of the pump and the outlet of the boiler. I have not seen this before. Isn't this a bit unusual? Customer installed gauges and has questioned me to as why this is.

Comments

• Brad White_2
    Brad White_2 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    \"Agricultural Product\"

That is a good euphemism. I will have to remember that next time the DEA is in town :)

Is the circulator pumping away from the expansion tank? Is the difference in pressure negative or positive and where is it being measured...

If you are pumping TO the expansion tank, the suction pressure will drop about the entire pump head value. If you are pumping away from the expansion tank, the discharge pressure will increase as a function of the system resistance at that flow point.

Depending on the system, flow rates, pipe sizes, having that kind of pressure would be unusual (high) in a home heating system and normal if not low in some industrial or commercial applications.

A diagram might help.
This discussion has been closed.