Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Big Ugly NYC

Options
FRANK_24
FRANK_24 Member Posts: 80
.......wasn't with me past few days, so I couldn't make the feast that I was looking fordward to. I had an unforseen appointment to keep on an operating table on Wednesday afternoon. My ticker "hic-cupped", actually I felt like I was speared with a baseball bat, so I'm into a forced vacation for a couple-a-weeks. Soooo, I'll be looking forward to the next one. Anyway, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, seems to me, we all should lock up the shop every once in a while and enjoy ourselves..........time is short, and we are a long time dead.

Comments

• keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    Thanks JohnNY and Wallies

What a great time Nancy and I had.

With the exception of Dan I had never met any of you characters before. It was fantastic. The food and wine hit the spot for sure but the best part was hanging out for a few hours with all of you guy's and meeting your better halfs.

As far as Nancy and I are concerned the night was perfect.

Thank You for everything,

Keith

• keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    Thanks JohnNY and Wallies

What a great time Nancy and I had.

With the exception of Dan I had never met any of you characters before. It was fantastic. The food and wine hit the spot for sure but the best part was hanging out for a few hours with all of you guy's and meeting your better halfs.

As far as Nancy and I are concerned the night was perfect.

Thank You for everything,

Keith

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Perfect is the right word.

And another word might be "ouch." Thanks for helping us make a memory. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    A night to remember...

...as long as you don't count the last thirty minutes.

I was fine until the grappa.

Thanks, everyone.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    Started with a Martini

then champagne, red wine, grappa.....ughhhhh I am FEELING it todays boys - great time glad I went. Babs had a great time too. I will post pics later. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • mike@BORO
    mike@BORO Member Posts: 30
    Options
    good food good people good chat

grappa? thought that was squick, its really nice to know that you can get together a bunch of guys who share the same dedication for a passion which we have perfected over the years . its nice to know some people who care about what they do.im glad to be associated with a select few. with this i would sincerely like to say thank you. thanks john, for making this nite a sucess. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A MOTION! lets make this an annual event SECOND ANYONE?

MIKE SANTORO
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    THIS BIG UGLY WASN'T UGLY AT ALL

great people, great wine, great food.
    you just can't beat that and all within walking distance.
    Monica & I had a wonderful time.

My hat is off to John & Maria for organizing this and also to all those who had to travel from out of state to come. I know it is an effort to come and I want to say thanks.

I guess i missed the grappa and it sounds like I'm glad I did. What is it anyway?

Respectfully,

Paul B. Shay
    pshay@arealgoodplumber.com
    LMP 1307
    LMFS 654B
    OUR MISSION: TO PROVIDE WORLD CLASS PLUMBING, HEATING, AND SPRINKLER SERVICE TO EACH AND EVERY CLIENT WE SERVE, FAR EXCEEDING THEIR HIGHEST EXPECTATIONS!

Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    Options

Yesterday's weather was a good omen for the evenings festivities. It's too bad I had to leave early, as I missed talking to so many fine folks. The time flew by with tasteful pauses for the excellent cuisine. Not being a drinker, I can only guess that the drinks were as fine too...

It think it's a fine testament to the quality of the folks that "hang" here that there is so much camaraderie and genuine affection amongst the group and that so many traveled so far to come for this one evening...

Just having the opportunity to add faces to the voices here on the wall made the evening well worth it, the food and conversation were the icing on the cake.

One question though; did Mark ever buy Ron Jr. his $30 cocktail?

Hope to see you all at the next one...

Alex (Stonehouse, aka, The Wire Nut)
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    Options
    I'll second that

Good health to you. See you at the next gathering.

Keith
  • John White
    John White Member Posts: 120
    Options
    What a night

Everyone, I can't remember having sucha great time. What a kick back night. John, the Grappa is SOOOOO dangerous. Almost as dangerous as hanging out on the sidewalk with Mad Dog!! Oh my!!! Thanks for leetting me be a part of such a special thing, and with really one of the most special groups of people I've had the pleasure of being with. All the best to everyone!!!jw
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
    Options
    Great Evening

My head still hurts.

Nice to meet all of you.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Seriously, people...

... this morning was NOT GOOD for me.
    I sincerely want to thank everyone for coming out last night and for all your kind words of thanks.

I was convinced that no one was going to show up. And that the restaurant would drop the ball (They did. Where was dessert? The music was a mess, etc. Whatever.)

It was a great night for me and Maria (again, until the grappa came out) and I was so happy to see so many of you again as well as the people I met for the first time.

The restaurant was very happy to have us and I think we had a fair deal after all.

Be well, everyone, and please don't be strangers. If you're ever coming to NYC, look us up.
    People ask me and the misses for recommendations all the time. It's what we do since moving to SoHo 6 years ago.

It's our privelege to know you all.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Options
    A great party

The best food and people in NY were there , we had a wonderful time . Janice talked about it all the way home .
    Can't wait to see the pictures .
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    What a night!

I don't know what to say. That was the most fun I have had in a LONG time. On a side note, I am now OFFICIALLY a "Grappa free zone". I have not had Grappa in many years and it doesn't taste any better today than it did then. Might hurt more though.

Curious....How far is it from Penn Station to Houston St???

Darin and I walked from Penn to the hotel on Friday when we got in, and we walked back to Penn from the hotel on Saturday. The girl at the front desk of the hotel seemed quite amazed by this. Grabbed an AWESOME breakfast at a place called "Silver Spur". I had Scottish Benedict. English muffins with Lox, poached eggs and hollandaise. DELICIOUS!!!

Union Square had some "interesting" performers this morning and we even saw some Krishna's. Do they really walk around in those pajamas all day? The farmer's market had a few signs that might just be illegal. It is April yet there were "Fresh, NY grown apples". Hmmmmm.....
    Darin got an invitation from a psychic for a free reading. I told him he should have asked her if he was actually going to show up.

And what is with the bicycle cab company??? They harass the snot out of every person that walks by. Darin and I thought about finding a couple of very LARGE folks and paying for them to get a tour of the city in one of those things. "Here! Peddle this!!!"

That was my first visit to the city in over 30 years. Lots of construction going on but the city(at least what we saw of it) was spotless. Well.......mostly spotless.

John White I met for the first time on Friday. All I can say is.....WOW. Thanks John! It was an honor to hang with you. Keep a close eye on Taco folks.

Met Joe Landry for the first time as well. An Iraq vet, he will soon be deploying to Kuwait. Joe is an awesome guy.

Bob Bona made it and he brought an apprentice....Walter. Walter is an amazing young man and I got to chat with him for a while. BTW, his Wallie ID will be....WallyWallie. Well......that is what I suggested. Good to have met you Walt.

Al Corelli, Paul Shay, Alex Marks and Tom Schwarz. First time I met these folks as well. Thank you all for a great time!

John Rhunke showed up while I was standing outside the restaurant talking to Maddog. JR!! Glad you made it!!

Jim Pompetti and his lovely wife Janice.. two classy people!

Aunt Lucy!! Happy Birthday girl!! What a lady!!!

I DID offer to buy Ron Jr. ANY damn drink he wanted. He stuck to his favorite. Great seeing you Ron!

Maddog.......Curahee!!! He and I go back a few years. His wife Barbara is a saint.....or at least she should be. Love them both.

Then there was this tall guy that hugged everybody. Dan H!!!

If you've ever been in a room with Dan, you know what I am talking about. If they gave Dan a job at the UN, we would have world peace tomorrow. TLM was there as well. Always good to see TLM!!!!!!

Who did I forget???????? AHHHHHH!!!!!! JohnNY and his wife Maria!

John, thank you very much! All the leg work and personal sacrifice brought a "band of brothers" together for a night. Count it as a success my friend and count the Grappa as desert! Great to see you again and great to meet your wife. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Brad White!! I can't tell you how good it was to see you again!

You people rock!!!

Mark H

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    that night

was AMAZING!

It was so great to see you all! John, thank you again for hooking up with an awesome restaurant-their hospitality was top shelf. I don't know what else to say, but talking to each of you was such a fulfilling experience!

John, the grappa is just a nice name for tequila..or high octane. I'll look for it next time I run outta gas :) I think I'm still feeling it this morning.

Johnny White was a total psych-out. I thought when he walked in, he was going to sing for us! Love this guy!

Dan, I think you owe the pirate community an apology :)

Darin, you are the man, and thank you for your service!

Brad, you are just as humble in person as you are online!
    For the rest of you, I only wish there was more time to chat..

And um.. Mark Hunt..Bloomberg called and gave the all clear that you and Cook went back upstate-they never saw the likes of ya. You are such a pisser.

Walt told me on the train back he was "starstruck" and felt so priviledged to be part of this experience and to have hung out with the cream of the crop of the heating trade. I think he will remember this for a long time, and I appreciate you guys supporting him and trying to infuse your knowledge into him! He also told me to apologize to Ron Jr. for hitting on his g/f..he didn't know! :)
  • TGO_54
    TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
    Options
    Thanks and a few words

Hee Hee Hee

Haw Haw Haw

OUCH!

Can we do this again? ;-)

• Brad White_2
    Brad White_2 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    A Defining Night

Where else in one place could I meet up with the people I enjoy and respect the most beyond my own family? Where else could I meet people for the first time yet feel a connection beyond what words can convey?

JohnNY and Maria- you are wonderful hosts, so gracious and hospitable- for setting this up and making it happen- Salut!

Dan and T.L. Marianne- always great to see you and be with you. Aunt Lucy clearly has inspired a Beatles song or two. Memo to Dan- she has steam heat. :)

Johnny White- what a heart have you- thank you for being.

Meeting up with Mark and Darin before the festivities set the stage- it was essential for us to have catch-up time before. Sorry I had to leave as quickly as I did. Darin- I am especially proud to know you. Mark- I was the one that posted bail. No worries. :)

Ken and Jaye Secor- Sorry not to get more face time. I will bring lifts next I see you. Way too short a time this go-around.

Meeting Jim and Janice Pompetti was an unexpected treat- I had no idea of the "spark" you both have, together and as individuals. Dan was right about you both :)

Paul and Monica Shay- "Real Good" is an understatement- I enjoyed both of you and your probing intellects- fantastic conversation and critical thinking...

MadDog!!! and Barbara- Outstanding! So glad to finally meet you both. I want you in my corner.

Joe Landree- I cannot imagine the dedication you have- going back to Kuwait- laughing. Thank you.

Noel and Lisa- finally! See? I give short answers too. :)

Bob Bona- to meet you finally was a treat- that you brought Walter gives me hope. Let's encourage more of what you are doing! Walter- stick with Bob. Remember: Learn one, do one, teach one, screw one.... the process... pass it on.

Finally meeting John Ruhnke was a trip! We did not speak ONCE about Gerbil Worming, did we? Nah, I lost count too. When the ice melted in your glass, I thought you would melt yourself... thanks for keeping it together- see you next time.

Keith, Nancy, Tom, Al, THE Ron Jr. and Denise- Alex... I will be back when this comes around again. Sorry if I left anyone out, it could have lasted another few hours and I would still feel neglectful.

I am gratified that we share so much in this wonderful place called The Wall.
  • jalcoplumb_2
    jalcoplumb_2 Member Posts: 172
    Options
    Great time.

Well, I have not had Grappa since I was in Italy in the late 90’s. What a night that was. John I can’t thank you enough for being the great host that you were. It was a pleasure to finally put a face to all the names. (Too bad after all the Grappa I will not remember them all, or is that just me getting old?)
    I had an outstanding time. It was good to see every one of you. I wish I could have spent more time and didn’t have to leave when I did. That being said I made it to my Drill weekend (little rough around the edges) and spent the day at the rifle range. Shot a 47 out of 50, not bad considering all the Grappa. Then went to my promotion board on Sunday and kicked butt there as well.
    All and all, the Big Ugly was a start of an awesome weekend for me. I can’t wait for the next one.

Thank you,
    Joseph A Landree

JAL Co. Plumbing & Heating
  • Darin Cook_5
    Darin Cook_5 Member Posts: 298
    Options
    Thanks John and Maria

I must echo everyones sentiments, it was an awesome night!!!! I am so glad I made it down. Such a great collection of good people. I apologize to the folks I did not get to talk to. So many stories, so little time. What a great turnout of some of the industry's finest folks!!

I had not been back down to NYC since 9-11 when we were deployed to ground zero. It was nice to be down under these very pleasant conditions. Many thanks again to John and Maria, good people and a good couple!!!!!

Darin
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Missed it

So glad to here everyone had such a great time. I was relegated to the south shore of Aruba with my family and just couldn't find my self leaving early. Time to plan the next one?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I am in for the next one, Tim

> So glad to here everyone had such a great time. I

> was relegated to the south shore of Aruba with my

> family and just couldn't find my self leaving

> early. Time to plan the next one?

• mike@BORO
    mike@BORO Member Posts: 30
    Options
    pictures anyone?

I Knew i should have brought my camera! hey Ron Jr! you ok? did you get home yet bro?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    MIke, I have quite a few....BUT

I spent the next few days "lingering" around (whilst watching the 3 kids...7,5,2.) HURTIN!!!!!!(SORRY - UNi-rogue). THen, the week got nuts...two 20 hour days back to back...pic are coming. Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Having drunk {sic} Grappa on several occassions now

I would never partake again...Like CRACK...it leaves you feeling like GARBAGE!!!!!( so I>>>>>>>have heard...never had the displeasure..nor would I). Dun had Kentucky Moonshine, European Absinthe, and the rest, and NOTHING was so bad in every way. IN any case, the Bog Ugly was VERY special to me. Mad Dog

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Just got back to VT...

After spending a few days in NJ w/family.

Too bad Jaye and I left when we did, sounds like we missed all the good stuff. We had to snag a tarin that stops running around midnight. Missed the grappa (thankfully I now imagine [in retrospect]) scene.

Food and company was incredible.

Albany for the next one? Count me IN!
This discussion has been closed.