Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a 2 stage slab t/stat

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
A customer of mine is putting in a lap pool out in her back yard. In the concrete slab between the house and the pool she wants slab warming. Not snow melt, slab warming. I've installed a flat plate to the system. The primary side is hooked up to a boiler zone circ, and the secondary is hooked up to several loops of pex in slab with a circ. What I would like is a 2 stage programmable tstat with a slab sensor. The first stage to bring on the system circ, the second stage to bring on the boiler circ to inject heat. Any suggestions as to who has an approprite beast? WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• 2 stage with sensor

Wayne,

A 2 stage heating stat with a slabsensor would be a tekmar 512 with a 079 tekmar slab sensor.

I am curious as to how this will work. I'm not sure don't think this will accomplish what you want it to do.

How will you mix/limit the water temp for the system?
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    What would be

the concerns about limiting the water temp. Top design water temp from the boiler is 140. What shoud the limit be? Thanks for any help. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    tek356

Could you use a mixing control like the Tekmar 356? Have the mixing sensor be on the secondary side to control the circulator to create the 140F final temp your looking for, system sensor on the prmary side so the control knows the temp of water thats available to work with when powering the injection pump.

You can program the maximum temperature of 140F into the 356 control. I would look carefully at the return temps and possilble flue gas condensation conditions
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    It's a condensing boiler

Prestige to be sure. The primary water will be 140 tops. I think the tekmar 512 might be the ticket. I also wanted to look at the Azel website to look at the controllers Hot Rod showed us a few weeks ago. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Be very careful what you promise

and what she expects. How warm of surface temperature do you hope to provide? A snowmelt merely needs to be above freezing. An outdoor floor warming would need to be???

If they expect that slab to feel warm to the bare foot, outdoors, in the winter... Ouch that could involve some serious btus.

Sell them a few infrared tubes or mushroom heaters to line the walk path.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Wayne

What solution did you come up with for this job Wayne?

Regards,

PR
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    I am

going with a tekmar 512. I think we only need to stay above 32. They eventually are going to enclose the pool and then it will become a radiant floor. Sheesh. They did their own radiant floor in their warehouse 15 years ago and have a feel for what they want. I think they just want tot keep ice & snow off the concrete until that time. WW

• 2stage 512

Wayne,

Minimum setable temp is 34F on the slab sensor.

You probably want to maintain 38F if you want to keep her clear of snow and ice.

wheels
This discussion has been closed.