Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator pump issues?

Options
Al Corelli
Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
Perhaps someone replaced an IFC circ with a "checkless" pump?

Comments

• JLJ
    JLJ Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Circulator pump/extreme heat

I had to replace my circulator pump for the upstairs heat a couple of months ago. Since then I have been getting fluctuating temperatures that raise ten degrees over what the thermostat is set at. I have checked the wiring at the circuit board on the side of the furnace and the thermostat is not calling for heat and the circulator is not being energized. With this being the case how can heat still be pouring out of my baseboards? This seems to get worse when I am running the washing machine, or any time I am running hot water to an appliance. The heat has been shut off all day and my downstairs heat is fine, but my other zone upstairs has heat pouring out of the baseboards! This system is about 4 years old, oil, and it has 3 taco circ. pumps in it. 1 for hot water, one for first floor, and one for second. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    sounds like a...

flow check is open or is passing water if the seat is not seating....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Options
    I would first

check to make sure that the check valve is closed and that it is not stuck open gravity flow is a great think but not at the wrong time. If it appears closed screwed all the way down tap it acouple of times and see if it closes, or screw it up and down a couple of times it might free it up, if not a new one may be in order, if the old circ had one built in does the new one have a check built in. Just my rambling thoughts.
  • JLJ
    Options
    check valve

The circulator is a model 007-F5. There are no valves, or adjustments on the outside of it. Is the check valve adjusted form inside? Do I need to take the circ down to perform this?
  • JLJ
    Options
    Specs on circulator

Check out the attached drawing.
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Options
    Well if it is not an IFC (internal flow check) circ then you

have a flow check probably on the supply pipe near the cieling it could be brass and sweat into the pipe or cast iron and screwed in if cast usually painted red or green depending on manufactuer.
  • JLJ
    Options
    thanks

Thanks for the help. I am going to check it out some more in the morning. If you come up with any more thoughts let me know.

Thanks
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
    Options
    Maybe

Perhaps someone replaced an IFC circ with a "checkless" pump?
This discussion has been closed.