Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ridgid 918 Roll groover

Options
I don't but I suggest you call Rigid and see if they can help you out.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,607
    Options

Anyone out their have any experence with a Ridgid 918 roll groover that mounts on the 300 threader?

We have a Victaulic brand groover which I have used for years with little or no problems.

We recently bought the Ridgid 918 and todays attempt to roll groove 8" shd. 40 (which the machine is capable of) didn't work out very well. The pipe is walking off the machine. (we were only grooving 10-12" long nipples. I noticed they have a "pipe stabilizer" attachment available. Has anyone used this?? We tried every trick in the instruction manual.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ED
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options

Firstly why are you rolling sched 40? Secondly, it can be done very easily with some practice. Don't think by having a level surface that will help, if the pipe is angled up slightly that might improve things. Additionally push the pipe forward a little as you start to roll.In a sense you "steer" it a little to keep it in place. Since you can roll in either direction this "forward" is the direction the pipe is turning. Wear gloves always, I know this sounds a little contradictory considering the machine can grab your gloves and spin you around before your foot can switch it off but in the long run no one files down the ends of the pipe and cuts have been more of a problem than having your arms wraped around. Lastly crank down on the tension a little more than you link is correct before you start to roll. Many individuals have thought to start off with a light pressure because it is sced 40 but crank it down and that might help. It can be done and with a little variation you shouldnt have any problem.
  • bill_94
    bill_94 Member Posts: 7
    Options

What is wrong with rolling sch. 40 pipe? Maybe he couldn't get any welders. Grooving Sch 40 pipe is very common in my area, between the sprinks and the HVACR piping.
  • Ray Landry_3
    Ray Landry_3 Member Posts: 94
    Options

> What is wrong with rolling sch. 40 pipe? Maybe

> he couldn't get any welders. Grooving Sch 40

> pipe is very common in my area, between the

> sprinks and the HVACR piping.

I use a 918 groover all the time on my 300 machine. The trick when doing big schd 40 is to keep the pipe angled a little bit to the right as your are facing the 300 machine.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options

Thanks for the help guys. I guess we are just going to have to "practice" with it a little more. The 918 is sure nice and light to move around.

It's just that we have very little issues like this with our Victaulic groover so we feel we are doing something wrong.

ED
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    we bought the pipe stablizer

I got that pipe stablizer they offer to use when making short nipples. It makes it easy to make short nipples.
    We couldn't even make any without it.
    All other comments made in other posts are true and helpful as well, except to say they seem to be implying they can make nipples without that stablizer and we couldn't.

Respectfully,

Paul B. Shay
    pshay@arealgoodplumber.com
    LMP 1307
    LMFS 654B
    OUR MISSION: TO PROVIDE WORLD CLASS PLUMBING, HEATING, AND SPRINKLER SERVICE TO EACH AND EVERY CLIENT WE SERVE, FAR EXCEEDING THEIR HIGHEST EXPECTATIONS!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options

Paul,

At least now I'm not the only one who couldn't make short nipples. My boss has the "attachment" on order. Can this be used with long pieces as well. Any other tricks with this machine??

Thanks.
    ED
This discussion has been closed.