Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Fired Radiators

Options
Haven't seen one but do remember St. Dan had a article about them and mentioned them being in Jerry Seinfield's tv show apt. Wondering how its vented? Also, which way is it?... If it not vented, open the windows, opened windows? Bigger radaitors! Bigger radiators, more vent? Then bigger windows! Bigger windows? Then biggger radainter!, etc etc..

Comments

• Gilbert Buras_2
    Gilbert Buras_2 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Gas Fired Radiators

Found in my warehouse were a number of radiators that appear to be individually gas-fired. (photo attached) While I appreciate the value of antique steam and hot water radiators I can't imagine that these things have any value other than as scrap, but need the advice of people who know what they are looking at. Is anyone interested in these things or should they go to the scrap heap?
  • Frenchie
    Frenchie Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Where?

Where are you located? Those are neat old units! They would be dangerous in todays tightly insulated houses because of the CO production. I could see putting a couple in a garage or something where there is some ventilation!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    It might be possible

to just hook them up to a steam pipe fed by a steam boiler. If they are the unvented version I would not use their burners due to the carbon-monoxide hazard. Using an unvented heater might even be illegal in your area, as it ought to be everywhere.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Gilbert Buras_2
    Options

Thanks for the responses. They are located in New Orleans, in my (unflooded) warehouse near the river. They were orginally installed in this building: www.3301chartres.com
    They are not vented and I would not fire these things indoors on a dare. I have not examined them closely enough to know if they can be piped for steam or hot water, but I would doubt it since it appears that the firing chamber is seperate from the water reservoir.
    Really. Does anybody want these things? I'll GIVE them to you if you just make arrangements to get them out of my warehouse in a week!

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    You'll find them

in our Library: Clow

It pays to wander off the Wall.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Gilbert Buras_2
    Options
    Clow radiators

By the way, they ARE Clow radiators (I thought the things said "Glow"). Thanks again to The Wall readers for the help.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    clow heater

I was just watching an episode of Seinfeld and in this episode he turned up the heat. I saw the radiators and presumed it would be a central system in a large apt. building, so then how could HE turn up the heat, I wondered... Funny they would build a set with a Clow radiator!
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Radiators

In New Orleans?

Are you sure they aren't anchors that look like radiators?

If anyone is interested, I can get these picked up and stored, possibly. I'd love one for my house.
  • Gilbert Buras_2
    Options
    CABCO also

I hate to just throw them in the scrap heap if someone can use them. By the way, two of them are CABCOs and the rest CLOWs

I lost my house, two cars and my rental property in the Katrina flood but THIS stuff in my warehouse near the river stayed dry as toast!

I gave about 10 second thought to putting them in the house I'm planning to build - I'm living in an old family property with steam heat and loved it all my life. But thanks to Heating Help I learned how to calculate EDR when I had to replace the boiler here and instantly knew that I don't have enough of these things even if I could re-plumb them for hot water.

• Frenchie
    Frenchie Member Posts: 113
    Options
    I wish

I wish I could take them, but I am in Wisconsin, so it just isn't practical. Hopefully somebody will save them from the wrecker!! Those are a nice piece of history. PS sorry to hear about all of your losses in the hurricane. Watching it on TV I had a sick feeling seeing all the suffering going on.
This discussion has been closed.