Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Controls and equipment exposed to floodwaters...CAUTION!

Options
Kevin Pulver
Kevin Pulver Member Posts: 67
that gas valves don't like dirty water. Years ago, a friend gave me a used hot water heater which had gotten wet somehow. It worked fine- until I turned my back on it, at which point it didn't shut off.
It kept heating and blowing the TNP valve over and over. Thank God for TNPs, it did the job it was designed for, but my "free" hot water heater cost me a lot of work to pull up all the new carpet and dry the mess out. I saw it happen again to a fellow who used a water heater which had gotten the gas valve immersed. Kevin

Comments

• BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Controls and equipment exposed to flood waters...CAUTION!

Most Wallies already know this, but for all you homeowners and others, please read this post. Once again, we have been hammered by a series of floods, and the damage has been severe. As the water recedes and the basements get pumped out, here is some very important information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RELIGHT ANY GAS OR OIL FIRED EQUIPMENT THAT HAS BEEN FLOODED!!! ALL oil primaries, gas valves, ignition modules and related equipment MUST be replaced! Attempting to relight such equipment may result in a fire or explosion adding even more tragedy to an already bad situation. This also includes water heaters. Be careful out there!
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    bump

bump back to the top
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Agree

And even if you manage to get a control or electrical part working it will crap out down the road..
This discussion has been closed.