Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cargo van break-ins

Options
bill nye_3
bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
I had my van parked in my driveway , the doors were locked, I woke up to find the window smashed and all of the tools missing. An honest $10,000. worth.

I did the tinted windows after. Out of sight, out of mind. It does not pay to advertise your tools to a thief. For the insurance you should take pictures, get serial numbers, and keep the receipts.

The screens would slow them down a bit. The harder you make it for the thief, the better chance he'll get caught or scared off.

Comments

• Ken C.
    Ken C. Member Posts: 267
    Options
    Are window screens worth it?

I bought a new cargo van recently. I had hoped to get one without windows in the rear and curbside doors, but none were available off the dealer's lot at the time (and because my previous truck's engine went kaput, I couldn't wait for a special order or dealer exchange).

Anyhow, I'm considering getting the wire security screens installed behind the cargo area windows (the van already has a cab partition). Most of the utility company vans have these window bars, so they must offer some value, but perhaps they might be original equipment on fleet vehicles.

I've also thought about getting a dark tint on the cargo area windows, but that might attract more curiousity from would-be thieves, rather than act as a deterrent.

In your opinions, are the security screens a good deterrent to break-ins? Are certain kinds/brands better than others?

The only other option, which I've been doing the last several months, is to take the power tools out of the van every night, but this gets old pretty fast. I'd like to be able to leave them in the truck, and was wondering if adding the security screens would help me sleep a bit better at night.

Also, is tool theft insurance (for tools stolen from a vehicle) expensive? I only do light service work and the extent of my power tools are as follows: Sawzall, right angle drill, hammer drill, 4" grinder and Dremel for the corded tools, and a DeWalt cordless Sawzall/drill kit. I'm wondering if tool theft insurance is cost effective when I don't carry big ticket items like a sewer rooter or Ridgid 300 threader.

-Ken

• Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Hockey Puck Locks

The screens are a good idea, and tinting or even painting the glass is a great idea, but you really need to put the hockey puck style locks on for any decent level of protection. On the Chevy vans a thief only needs a screwdriver and large wrench to spin the lock cylinder out of any of the plastic door handles, and on the Ford the rear lock is the same way, although Ford has tried to reinforce the cylinder, but it is still mounted in plastic. I say this because I have seen it happen to co-workers vans over the years.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Alarm

We had a theft recently in our new cargo van, (without windows)and put in an alarm system the next day. The $700. cost includes a fuel disconnect. Also put a video security camera watching over the lot.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Van security

When I have had vans with windows I always bar or screen them. I don't tint 'cause I don't want them to bust the glass then discover the bars.

When I got my current van (2000 Ford E-150) I ordered it without side and rear windows. After installing a bulkhead, I thought I was in pretty good shape. That was until I inadvertently opened the door with my wife's Chrysler minivan key! I found I could also open the doors with almost any key on my keyring!

After that I put on the hidden shackle hasps and hockey puck locks. These can be purchased keyed alike. I (knock on wood) have never been broken into and I don't always work in the greatest neighborhoods.

Good luck,

Jim

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611725619

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611725806

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jim_94
    jim_94 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    worth it

We had two vans hit the same night and they cleared out all our power tools, luckily we had another van that didn't get hit. The next day my father bought the screens and we installed them. We also bought small knack boxes and bolted them to the floor. We lost some rack space but our tools were safe. We now have box trucks but still put in larger knack boxes just to be safe.
    Jim
  • Ken C.
    Options
    A few questions, Jim

First, thanks for your reply. I'm having a hard time visualizing how these would be installed - am I correct in assuming that you would have to drill into or through the door?
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Burglar Bomb

Pepper spray anti-entry system.Burglar Bomb: A division of Revel Technology, Inc.
    832 West 1st Street
    Birdsboro, PA 19508 USA

• Michael_23
    Michael_23 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Do it

I tell ya, it's only getting worse. 20 years ago when some crackhead would steal say $5000.00 in tools, they would maybe get back 10% of what they were worth. Now with the internet especially ebay, the return on their theft will probably bring a return of 50%-60%. Crackheads are pretty knowledgeable now. Lock em' up and get an alarm. I know, it happened to me. There is no worse feeling than having your way of making a living stripped from you. I know guys who have been held up at gunpoint for their tools. Sad.
  • Jim Bennett
    Options
    Locks

Yes you have to drill through the doors. On my van, the area where I wanted to put the hasps is right where the door latch mechanism is.

This made it kind of difficult but not impossible. Measure THREE times, drill once. I put silicone caulk behind the hasp when I mounted them to keep water out of there and (hopefully) prevent rust.

At the time I did this several years ago, I could not find any other security locks designed for use on a van. Not even the places that sell work truck systems had anything.(American Van) Kind of surprising.

These work and look okay, but when we replace this truck next year I will look around again to see if anything else is available.

Good luck,

Jim

• Ken C.
    Options
    Thanks for the photo...

...a picture's worth 1,000 words. I'm a visual learner.

-Ken
  • terry_5
    terry_5 Member Posts: 92
    Options

i have the bullets locks but next van i'll have the interior dead bolts installed!

They have a key fob technology and thieves are not aware or them plus they don't ruin your vans exterior
  • terry_5
    terry_5 Member Posts: 92
    Options

i have the bullets locks but next van i'll have the interior dead bolts installed!

They have a key fob technology and thieves are not aware or them plus they don't ruin your vans exteriorNo. 1 reason for interior locks they 'll be used!
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Paul

I suggest filling your service vehicles with rabid wolverines after hours.

Then you will at least have some way cool videos should someone attempt a break in! Probably be #1 on YouTube for weeks!!

You could have an "Employee of the Month" contest to select the person responsible for putting the wolverines back in their cages each morning. Again, keep the video running.

Seriously.....theft is always a possibility no matter what precaution we take. If they want it bad enough.......they'll get it.

I worked for a company years ago that had about 40 installation vehicles and 20 service trucks. Most of the install vehicles were parked each night at the shop in a fenced in parking area. One morning I came to work to find that nearly every tire on every truck in the compound had had it's tires slashed. "Check the security camera" we said. Well......turns out those "cameras" with the blinking red light were just boxes with blinking red lights so no video existed. The culprit was identified and apprehended though. He dropped some papers with his name on them when he climbed over the fence. It was a disgruntled ex-employee.

Ya' never know.....

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Bennett
    Options
    Dead bolts

> i have the bullets locks but next van i'll have

> the interior dead bolts

> installed!

>

>

>

>

>

> They have a key fob

> technology and thieves are not aware or them plus

> they don't ruin your vans exteriorNo. 1 reason

> for interior locks they 'll be used!

Who sells interior dead bolts? Never heard of them.
    Sounds like a better idea especially on a new vehicle.

Jim

• Jim Bennett
    Options
    Dead bolts

Who sells interior dead bolts? Never heard of them.
    Sounds like a better idea especially on a new vehicle.

Jim

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    That's what our vans have

and we had them installed professionally. "Have a pro do it"- what a concept ;-)

• Nick S
    Nick S Member Posts: 62
    Options

I had no idea how easy it is to get in these vans until I locked my keys inside. I managed to get in the back door of my 03 E350 in about ten minutes without breaking anything. Just imagine what a thief could do.
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Ditto the lock and alarm,...

We had the screens on a number of our vehicles. And then they started poking holes in the sheet metal just beside the locks. So we used to say to our people not to buy tools like ridgid 300's off of e-bay because we were just supporting someone elses misery, now we buy off e-bay because it's a cheaper way to replace our own stuff
  • Nron_13
    Nron_13 Member Posts: 164
    Options

Why not add a alarm to the van to prevent them from taking the whole thing it has happend to me twice
    they took the van and came back a month later when I got all the new tools replaced , make sure you get rid of the boxes dont leave them in the garbage in the back alley that where they check to see if you got the new tools yet
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    Options

I live and work in NYC so this has been an issue I have had to deal with for many years. If any of you guys have seen my trucks you know of what I speak. When I drive outside NYC and pull into a gas station to fill up, people actually gather around my truck to admire my locks and shake their heads in wonder as to what it means to do business in NYC. I just chuckle.

These are the rules I follow to hold onto my tools.

1) I never ever buy a van with windows on the side or rear. I don't care what kind of screens you put on, you will have break ins, unless you have plate steel the same thickness as the van body welded on, which I did once and it worked.
    Been robbed that way before.

In your case I might have suggested renting a van and carrying the tools inside at night until the new one came in.

2) I never ever buy a van with a sliding side door. One tire iron, crowbar or large screwdriver can pop that door over the roller towards the rear to a width of 5" to 6", even with a good lock on the front of the door. Lots of tools can be reached and stolen that way. If you have a sliding door you can install a lock on both sides of the door to remove this possibility, but after a few years those locks don't line up very well and that door becomes a real pain to use. A crackhead taught me that one twice.

3) I only use Tufloc locks model 50-3, made by Esmet (330-452-9132). Since I switched to these locks about 20 years ago, I have never had a lock broken off into. I tried the hockey pucks for a few years without the hidden shackle hasps. They can be riped off with a large pipe wrench.
    While I have never used the hidden shackle hasps and hockey puck locks, they look good. I have heard good things about them.

Since I instituted these rules 20 years ago, I have only had one truck broken into. And in that case the entire box truck was stolen, taken to a garage, and by using angle grinders cut around the locks on the rear doors. They got all my tools, but they never did break the locks.
    A GPS system on all vehicles would have stopped this one. I plan on installing GPS on all my vehicles this year.

So I now have a fourth rule.

4) GPS system on all vehicles so you can track the truck if it is stolen.

Here is how I see this.

Have you ever seen that home security TV commercial where the criminals pull up to break into a house they had scoped out and see a Slomin's shield. They back up and rob the neighbor.

Have you ever heard the joke about two men walking in the woods and they see a bear coming towards them from quite a distance away. They both start to run and then one stops and starts to switch his shoes from heavy walking boots to sneakers.
    His friend asks him what is he doing.
    He says that he can run faster in sneaks.
    His friend laughs and says that he can't outrun a bear.
    He looks up and says he doesn't have to outrun the bear.
    He only has to outrun his friend.

Listen, I know this joke is cold and cruel for sure, but my point is this. The more steps you take to protect your tools, the more the robbers will rob someone else who has not taken these steps.

That is just how it is.

Changing the world so people don't feel the need to steal is a much harder, much longer, though much needed goal.

Good luck holding onto your tools.

Respectfully,

Paul B. Shay
    pshay@arealgoodplumber.com
    LMP 1307
    LMFS 654B
    OUR MISSION: TO PROVIDE WORLD CLASS PLUMBING, HEATING, AND SPRINKLER SERVICE TO EACH AND EVERY CLIENT WE SERVE, FAR EXCEEDING THEIR HIGHEST EXPECTATIONS!

Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    paint the tools black

they won't get the crooks attention, they look like old crappy tools and they are harder for the crooks to sell. I have been doing this for years and I have never had a tool taken, I even leave my tools on the jobsite overnight. Plus if you do get them stolen, you could easily identify them. Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Jim Bennett
    Options
    Good idea...

One of our customers was losing a lot of the emergency phones in their elevators. Sometimes they would be gone the same day installed.

Someone came up with the idea of splattering them with paint and they haven't lost a phone since.

Jim

• The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Options
    Window screens

I had custom 16 ga metal panels made for the inside of my windows. BEST 100 bucks I ever spent! I installed them with standard sheet metal screws with 1" acoustic duct insulation behind. While I had the rear widow kicked in recently, no entry was gained and while the glass was broken it didn't even fall out of the frame. I have since ordered 1/8 prepainted aluminum panels to replace the glass -- looks just like factory. Custom interior shelving also minimizes access with lockable panels and drawers.

• Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    in high school

I worked for a roofing company and we used to paint the gas powered pumps black to prevent theft. I thought they were crazy until one day we didn't paint a new pump that came in and it was gone the next morning, even though there were bigger better pumps right next to it, but they were painted black. Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • D. McLean
    D. McLean Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Van thefts

Some crackhead recently climbed the fence at our shop, and cut the catylitic? converters off all the vehicles parked in the lot. I think we need a few wolverines...
  • Scott Gregg
    Scott Gregg Member Posts: 187
    Options
    I wonder...

I'll bet one of the more interprizing patrons here could rig an alarm to trigger an electronic device like the automatic odor control sprayers in some bathrooms. Instead of air freshener, insert your favorite can of OC gas! Fog the cargo hold and you'll know by the screams that someone is waiting to be rescued by a nice man with a well lit car and a badge.
    :-)
This discussion has been closed.