Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

flame going on off

Options
lee_7
lee_7 Member Posts: 458
sounds like a possible clogged oil line. Where in Northeast are you?

Comments

• alex_11
    alex_11 Member Posts: 35
    Options

I have a beckett AFG burner fired by an underground oil tank.The system is regularly maintained and was working fine until yesterday.

I noticed that the flame is going on off once in a while,the motor is running constantly.Also the flame doesnt look at intense as it use to and the flame is also spreading out in the chamber.

I am not sure what the issue is?

Can the wallies give any pointers..is it water mixed with a leaking ust..i m in the northeast,pounded by massive rains the last few days...or is it the flue damper...that may be closed..

PLEASE PLEASE help...

Thank you,
  • alex_11
    Options

northern NJ
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Possibilities

It sounds like you really need a professional. They would check the pump pressure to confirm pump is ok, check the coupling between motor shaft and oil pump is still good. Could be a clogged nozzle, dirty oil, contaminated oil, clogged line - any number of possibilities.

You need 3 key things for the burner to function - spark, fuel, and oxygen. We know you have spark because the burner does ignite. If you are not getting a big column of black smoke (unburnt oil)out of your chimney, we can assume there is oxygen present (although air bands may not be adjusted properly). Getting oil through the nozzel, into the chamber sounds like where you problem lies, but there are lots of potential factors that can create this scenario.

Get yourself a good oil man to diagnose.
  • alex_11
    Options

thanks glenn.

I have an annual conract with my oil delivery company.However my concern are the following
    1. Can this be caused by contaminated oil with water.
    2. My burner has a flame retention head,however i see the flame wide spread out.

If oil lines are clogged,is it that the nozzle be the first place to start with.

I measured oil level in the tank and it still has 9.5 inches.Its a 550 gallon tank.Is it too low..???

PLEASE advise.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Contamination

Good point about the water, especially if you were hit by this recent NorEaster. Your oil serviceman will be able determine this and tell if the lines are clogged - if so, they can clear them with a blast of compressed air from a CO2 cartridge.

If your happy with him, get your oil man in there. Good luck

• Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    Options
    9.5\"

in 48"tank? Think you should have ordered oil quite awhile ago? Of course it's acting up you forgot to feed it. ED
This discussion has been closed.