Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco zone valve smoking

jp_2
jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
i would check for proper voltage, sounds like your voltage may be too high.

Comments

• Jim P
    Jim P Member Posts: 29
    Taco zone valve smoking

I replaced a malfunctioning power head with a new one. When the zone calls for heat the new power head smokes, but works. Tried a second new power head and got the same result. I rewired all the zones according to the Taco wiring diagram and the new power head still smoked. After a few heat call cycles the smoking seemed to stop. I checked the thermostat and rechecked the wiring. Any suggestions?

Thanks Jim
  • Glenn H
    Glenn H Member Posts: 14

I think all taco powerheads smoke the first time you power them up.

Still remember the first on I ever did, thought I burnt one up for sure:>)
  • Far be it

from me to understand why anyone uses mechanical zone valves; noisy and problematic although I never had one smoke on me.

The first ones we used had sticky valves and the motors weren't strong enough to power them; after that came ones that had bad end switches, failing either open or closed.

Taco makes great mechanicals and they have a good return policy even though they don't reimburse for labor or customers lost.

Wax filled heat motors have been shown to be more stable.
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Allen,...

ditto the two responses but I think he is talking about the gold heads, yes I agree the mechanical motor tacos need a little work. The gold heads seem to smoke a little more for a day or two, it cant hurt to check the 24 volt supply for problems but remember just momentarily touch the transformer teerminals toghter and pooof! No comments about your ability here but more than once I have heard electricians say it's correctly wired and it hasent been and they still work... three heads max to each standard transformer!
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

New ones smoke the first time you use them.

They're heating up like they're suppose to.

• Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    T-stat

What kind of t-stat do you have? If it is a Std Honeywell t-87 than you need to check the heat anticipator. Its on the bottom part of the t-stat. I have always had to slide it to the left all the why when using taco zone valves. I have never had smoke from any of them. Call taco's tech line and they can verify this.
  • Scott Kneeland
    Scott Kneeland Member Posts: 158
    smoking zv

Well you may laugh but, I was told many years ago that it was due to the fact that Taco uses bee's wax in the head and any that may be on the outside will smoke off on the first cycle. i have seen it many times and have checked voltage and it is always with in tollerance.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Lyle C
    Lyle C Member Posts: 96
    Taco zone valve

I've only noticed the smoking this year ,maybe they have changed production methods.As for three valves on a transformer thats fine unless you have a house hold that wants all heat all the time then you'll be changing one head a year . When I attended a Honeywell sales pitch a few years ago the rep was able to show us all the math on this. But Honeywell 4 valves no problem .I change taco heads but install new Honeywell.
  • Jim P
    Jim P Member Posts: 29

I will test the transformer. I am guessing that it is in spec, beacuse the older zone valves don't smoke, just the new ones. The gold power head did not smoke as much as the green power head.

Jim
  • John White
    John White Member Posts: 120
    zv's

Jim,
    Please call Joe M. or George T. at Taco first thing Monday. I think you'll find this happens on start up. Always good to know exactly what IS happening.
    I'll follow up with Joe.
    Thanks, JW
  • TACO zone valves

have been smoking for years when you first start them up. Then for the rest of their wonderful little lives they smell like they are burning and they get hot, that is a quick way to know if they are powered. Set the anticipators to 1.2 for better operation.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 709

The Taco zone valve has an expandable substance inside, heated with an electrical heater wire attached with electrical tape. When the substance is heated, it expands and pushes the piston of the element down against the valve stem, to open the valve. The first time the valve sees 24 volts the electrical tape adhesive burns off causing a small puff of smoke, but as you noticed it dissipates, and you will not see it again.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Due to Ohio's new smoking ban.....

....Taco zone valves will no longer be allowed to be installed in public buildings.
  • never had

Never had them smoked on me as they know I'm an anti-smoking guy otherwise they would've not have the job.....
  • Hearmrm
    Hearmrm Member Posts: 1
    New Post

New to site
This discussion has been closed.