Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tjernlund power vent

Options
Paul Fredricks_3
Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
Be sure you have the smoke pipe entering the prover correctly. If I remember right you can go straight up into the bottom. If you use the rear connection you can't have an elbow right there. You need a straight piece between the venter and the elbow. I got that info from Tjerlund themselves. Have you called them yet?

Comments

• TJ_5
    TJ_5 Member Posts: 71
    Options

Have a crown boiler twz003, with a tjernlund ss1 on same. cannot keep running for more than couple of days. fault code shows fan prover/high limit error. stack temp at 510-525. Crown instructions caution against this install, however we are trying to fix anothers problem.
  • How is your

combustion-air supplied? Not enough and it`ll screw-up the proving switch for sure. We`ve all been through that with a TJ.
    That seems like a pretty high stack temp, what`s your firing rate?

Dave
  • TJ_5
    Options
    firing rate

Becket afg with .85 45B withc is what the crown calls for. air shutter set on 3, all from factory combustion air is room air. boiler in basement no air restrictions
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
    Options

I have one of those set-ups out there. I however used the SS2 and have not had a single problem. What is your draft set to? A high draft setting will increase your stack temp.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • TJ_5
    Options

getting -0.02wc by manometer
  • Combustion air is room air?

Is the house itself pretty "tight"? Try opening a window a-bit near the B/R and see if the TJ locks-out then. You will need a fresh-air supply near the boiler/burner of the proper size. TJs are touchy on that, if your blowing it out, it has to come in.
    .02" and still over 500*?,,, somethings not-right there.

Dave
  • TJ_5
    Options
    tight

combustion air is room air, house newer but not that tight
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

What's the other problem your trying to fix?

Still maybe related.

Is the boiler partially plugged?

• Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Make sure

Make sure the adjustment outside is set for the proper firing rate range or slightly higher. If not set high enough it can lead to the high limit protection opening. Don't ask how I found this out. :)

Leo
  • john_83
    john_83 Member Posts: 76
    Options

Do your self a favor Ive put in hundreds of ss2 very little problems. And a lot easier install. All problems mainly with unit it self never with the installs.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    stacjk temp

The stack temp sounds a little high ,when was the last time the boiler and the power vent was cleaned and properly serviced ?I would also look at combustion air and at 500 stack i think the manaul high limit on the power vent is not much higher then that ,pull the power venter out and clean it peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    SS1

Try blowing out the draft prover tube.Just disconnect at the nylon nut on the prover and blow out with compresed air or co2 blow out gun etc into the power vent not into the prover. I have seen many lockout problems solved this way.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    let's see

If the system has been giving problems, definitely clean the wheel on the SS2, clean the air tube as mentioned above and clean the boiler. Start with that as a baseline. How is it wired. Tjernlund is trying to get the wirng to go b1-b2 on A-stat to SS2 to boiler. Put all the calls in series, that way you don't have the various controls fighting each other. It happens.

Add combustion air to this system. You are fixing someones elses leavings. By the time you try once or twice unsuccessfully, the system is now yours. The Enforcer will only operate on a call for heat. It is the only unit that is designed to provide combustion and ventilation air and it has a positive lock-out.

All manuals are available at www.tjernlund.com. Call tech service at 800 255-4208. Good luck
  • Jim Davis_7
    Jim Davis_7 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Post-purge

What is your post-purge timer set for?? Oil usually requires 5-8 minutes of post-purge at the least. If at factory setting of two minutes it could cause overheating of your limit.
  • Ragu_5
    Ragu_5 Member Posts: 315
    Options
    T.J. .....

It's tough coming in on stuff like this after the fact; I feel for you, my friend.

All of the original SSI's around here (in Coastal Maine) have gone kaput. Most of the newer installations involve an SSII at a lower firing rate, and there have been far fewer problems.

The tech folks at Tjernlund have been great to deal with; please use them.

I agree with all of the other posters that your high stack temp with that low a draft indicates a problem; definitely clean out the draft proving tube (sometimes condensate freezes in them).

The manual reset high limit can be touchy on those units; adequate post-purge timing is critical. Personally, I am leaning towards lack of adequate combustion air. The Firedragon has always said that when using a Power Venter, ALWAYS add make up air for combustion. I think (as usual) that he is dead on right. Good luck. Jack

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.