Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant on top of slab

Options
Mark,

No link yet. Quietside has a web page but the Ondol page is not up yet.

I have color glossies here I can send you OR you can call them.

Steve

Comments

• Mark_7
    Mark_7 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    radiant on top of slab

Going to look at a job that the owner would like to put radiant heat on first floor which is a slab.Wasn't there a post resently about some ideas on the best way to handle this type of job?
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    radiant on slab

If you have the room, you can lay down a layer of 1" marine plywood, glued and power nailed or screwed, and use Quik Trac on top of it, then finish flooring on top. Hard to insulate a job like this but the 1" plywood is dense enough to do the job. I have done several like this with no complaints.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Radiant above slab -Roth

Roth makes a product ideal for this application. Its a structural foam board (70psi) with aluminum across the top. The foam has an R-value 4-5 times higher than 3/4" plywood and is not suseptible to damage from moisture like wood might be.

Have sold this several times - particulary when a house is located by the water and the water table can suck the heat away, or when they want to put radiant on the 2nd floor of an exising home and have no insulation in the 1st floor ceiling below.

The main potential problem with this product, is you need a level floor to prevent the boards from flexing. Panels are availble as 3/4" with 3/8 pex, and 1" with 1/2" pex. Sold in kits, 96sqft of coverage.

Check out the pics attached.
  • quietside Ondel

Mark,

I've been having a lot of fun with the Quietside Ondel flooring. No sub floor needed, 3/4" thick, uses 1/2 PEX, put carpet right over top, floating floor right over, R6, structurally about 10 times better then the Roth foam stuff.

Stocked here on PA out in Carlisle.

Best of luck,

Steve
  • Mark_7
    Options
    Quietside Ondel

Steve do you have a link that we can get some spec. on that. Thanks Mark
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Roth

I agree. Roth has been our choice for this type of application. It glues down and minimizes the build up. And insulates all in one move.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    regarding the Roth panels, how do

attach them to a plywood subfloor? Glue only? I suspect you use the glue approved for foam?

Regular of PAP for the tube? Thanks

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Options
    Fasenting

Have used PL type foam adhesive - HD or a good lumber yard should have it along with mushroom spikes. Pics attached.

Let me know if you want more pics. Have plenty.

Glenn
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Options
    Source ??

Is there a web site for this company / product where we could get specs and/or see some application photos ?

Thanks
    Glenn
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Steve, do you mean underlayment?

I can't see how a 3/4" panel with 1/2 pex grooves could be a structural panel?

I suspect you mean covering can be placed without an additional layer of underlayment, over the panels?

Where does the R-6 come from with a 3/4" wood panel with grooves in it? Seems you would need 1" plus of insulation somewhere to get R-6?

Not much info at the Quietside website.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • spec sheets in the mail to you

HR,

You are correct, no underlayment over the panels before final floor. The entire system keyways together (like dovetail joints) so the system can go right over concrete.

The panels have reflective foam in them making them R6 on their own.

I know, we are back to the foam thing... but the system works niiiiiiiiice.

wheels
  • Mark_7
    Options
    Panel

Here's a link for the ondel panel.
This discussion has been closed.