Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DO you remember?

Options
I remember every time working on this engineering disaster. Although it increased the surface area of the condenser coil it HAD to be separated to properly clean it. In the NE we have cotton seed flying to the point where it looks like snow in late April/May and I could always look forward to customers blank stair when I tell the the price to properly clean it.....

Mike T.

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    They're back!!!

Not sure what all brands are doing double row coil but the nightmare returns. Anything with a reasonable footprint these days is probably double row. Armstrong's new units are and they look like a real headache to clean!
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    1 more thing

Do you remember the Carrier condensers with the aluminum bristle design? If you sneezed you would bend the hell out of them.....lol, let alone use a hose on it..:-)

Mike T.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Yea man.

Unfortunately they are still around. And how about the Spine fin coils by GE and Trane? Dandilion magnets.
  • GusHerb
    GusHerb Member Posts: 91
    Options

• GusHerb
    GusHerb Member Posts: 91
    Options
    spine fin

If spine fin coils are so tough to clean why do they still use them in american standard air conditioners?
    j.h.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    Here's another one...

Older Comfortmaker condenser coils that did not like longer defrost cycles, and would split open. The "bristle" design reminded me of something that should be strung on a Christmas tree!
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    OMG

I took one of those apart in the customer's yard so i could recycle the aluminum tubing and it unwound as it rolled down the hill. I'll never forget the customer's face and I'm sure he'll never forget mine as I had to carry all that tubing back up the hill. It was after that incident that I wouldn't remove the steel wire cage until I got to the recycle place.

Do y'all know the linear footage of the tubing in an old round carrier? At least AmStd and Trane epoxy the coils together.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Spine fin

Why are they still around? I'll need to ask Trane.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    My Guess...

They are cheap to make, lightweight and very rarely leak!
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Why then

Why then do they charge so much for their condenser?LOL.

I prefer the double rolls coils.Only because of the lower profile it gives the unit.

Look at all the new high efficent equipment from trane.
    The surface area of the coil is so wide and tall that you
    have to stand on your head to replace the reversing valve coil or the crankcase heater.

This discussion has been closed.