Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Heater

I thought I would pass this on to everyone out there. This morning I install a 50 gallon NG Bradford-White power vented hot water heater. When I was all finished I started it up and It fail to operate. The code was showing pressure switch problem. So I jumped it out and tricked the gas valve to run. I let it run for about 5 minutes then I turned it off, well must be the pressure swirch. Well, I saw something strange on the blower moter assembly. I went to touch it and I burnt my finger, the plastic houseing was melting. I call Bradford-White and explained the problem. They told me to remove the blower assembly and check to see if the draft baffle was installed. To my surprise it wasn't. So watch out for this it sounded like they know of a "Quality control" problem. Bradford-White is stand up for thier mistake and covering the additional time so this is not a knock on them or their product. I just wanted to warn anyone about possible problem.

Comments

• Phil G
    Phil G Member Posts: 2

Is there a reason why you put in a power vent? I have never had a problem with the non-powered version.
  • Kevin A Gerrity_2
    Kevin A Gerrity_2 Member Posts: 27
    Yes

First of all it was a raplacement and second there is no chimney. I myself prefer an indirect, but they have a furnace.

• dann crist_2
    dann crist_2 Member Posts: 37
    water heater --or hot water heater

Most of us have a "water heater" since our water is not hot, we wouldn't need to heat hot water :) just a litle joke but seriuosly if yours is melting the plastic ---you DO have a "hot" water heater. I use lots of BW stuff, looking forward to their 20 gal 80,000 BTU unit. Thanks for the tip
  • Mike Gordon
    Mike Gordon Member Posts: 3
    Water Heater Problem

Hi Kevin;

The engineering and quality groups at Bradford White Corporation are my responsibility. Please accept my apology for the problem with this water heater
  • Mike Gordon
    Mike Gordon Member Posts: 3
    Water Heater Problem

Hi Kevin;

The engineering and quality at Bradford White Corporation are my responsibility. Please accept my apology for the problem with this water heater. I am very embarrassed you had this issue. The problem is being taken very seriously.

Mike, the Bradford White service tech who spoke with you, immediately advised our quality assurance group and a full corrective action investigation is being conducted. Inspection of water heater inventory here at the factory showed no other problems. Researching our call logs, no other similar problem has been reported to date.

All the Bradford White power vented water heaters contain a blower vent pressure switch and a blower thermal switch, in series, in the water heater safety circuit. If the vent pressure exceeds the maximum allowable, the pressure switch opens and interrupts the circuit. If the flue gas temperature exceeds the maximum allowable, the thermal switch opens the circuit. If the above circuit is opened during the water heater run cycle, the error code is flashed on the gas control, as you reported.

Again, please accept my apology for this problem and my thanks for using Bradford White products.

Best regards;

Bradford White Corporation

Mike Gordon

Vice President, Engineering
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Mike Gordon!!

It's great to see you posting again Mike.

Leo
  • Tarini
    Tarini Member Posts: 1
    President

Hello Mr Gordon,

I got you name Paul McDonald from bradford White in Canada. My Company is looking for water heater manucfacture for 40 and 60 gal gaz and electric tank.

Wright now, we already buy your Bradford white 40 gal electric and made the modification like we want. So I just want to known if it possible to buy directly from your facility.

Thank`s

Carl Tarini

Techno Protection inc.

418-838-1871 
This discussion has been closed.