Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DAIKIN split system A/C ?

We've installed Mitsubishi and Fujitsu mini-split Inverter units. Fujitsu utilizes 410A & gets much higher SEER ratings. Very installer friendly. Daikin also is 410A & their Inverter units grant hi-SEER ratings too. Multiple indoor units can be added to single outdoor condensers.

You know anyone from this area (Bridgton, ME) who could handle radiant and Fujitsu Inverter installations? I was contacted by some folks planning on building a home there.

Comments

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Is this what I need?

Every month's ASHRAE Journal magazine seems to have an ad for the Daikin line of split-system A/C units.

If you recall, some months ago I was trying to find such a beast in the 1 to 2 ton range for my own home. No high SEER units were around and most "solutions" were not packaged per se; nor were they in the size range desired.

The Daikin line seems to be a home-run, although the heat pump feature seems embedded in a few models.

The question I have is: "Does anyone have any experience with this brand"? And if you do have any awareness of the brand, is it good or bad?

And yes. I've been to their website, but being a wet-head only, have only a rudimentary awareness of what they offer and no awareness of the quality of the goods they sell.
  • Ken_40
    Thanks

Lad. I had forgotten those other two brands, or did I?

1-ton units are scarce...
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Ah, spring is just around the corner

And the AC questions begin. Dakin has pushed strongly into the variable speed/inverter commercial products first and are only really trying to market their smaller size units this year. I say that from a competitors view as I represent Fujitsu in NE.

Fujitsu is running pretty much 3-5 seer points above the competition. Buy the heat pump units. They are performing beautifully in the shoulder season (spring/fall)in the heat mode. In warmer climes they can do well year round. Also with the hp models you get the IAQ features. Full specs and all manuals are available at www.fujitsugeneral.com Smaller, quieter, longer line sets, smaller evap, more efficient, oh, and typically less cost.

• huh?

Not with Fuji, they're not. Mix-n-match with the Inverter multi-zone units(G). We're installing tons (no pun intended) of them.
  • Fuji

Inverter units still give 70% of rated heating at 17F WITHOUT any back-up heat elements. And, Inverter units give off much warmer air than do conventional heat pumps.

Great for sun rooms too.
  • Ken_40
    Jack,

Congratulations on being honest! Honest in that you stated up-front your opinion and recomendations are based upon your financial interest in seeing "your" product line touted. Compared to some other "hidden agenda" praises for some other products here, outright statement of agenda is like a fresh breeze.

I will most certainly look at Fujitsu with a kind eye, especially now that you come right up front as to who you are and the motivational basis you ask me to take a look.

I need for you to better understand the basics however. I have, if not the most energy efficient home in VT, one of the top three in the entire state. The house has won numerous awards for energy efficiency. The heating system is over 95% efficient and oil-fired. I heat the entire 2,400 SF on less than 250-gallons of #2 fuel (a year). This INCLUDES 12-months of domestic hot water! Granted, that was a very mild winter, but it was also in extreme northern VT where the design temp is -25F.

Our electric rates are exhorbitant! 16-cents/KW! I already have all the warmth and comfort I could ever want, at a cost that will not be beat unless they find methane in the yard (;-o)

I do not need or want heating, just cooling and dehumidification.

Talk to me. What do you have that meets my needs. I'm already sold, now we need to refine the models to my home.

I need ~1 to 1.5 tons of cooling.
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    What's wrong with Mitsubishi?

I have a 1 ton unit... same size house as yours, not as well insulated in the Toronto area. I've had it 5 years. I've never noticed a rise in the electrical bills due to using it.
  • Ken_40
    I like a lot

of things Mitsubishi puts their name on.

I just don't want or need anything with heat. Cooling only; and, like you, will only use it five or six times a summer.

Thanks for the input!
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    We use it much more than that...

I'm seriously thinking of putting it on a 240v relay connected to a programmable t-stat rather than using the remote each evening when we get home and shutting it off each morning. That's the only part about it that I don't like. It can be preset to come on or turn off after a set time but you have to set up each individual event. You can't set a schedule.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Ken

I try to post my affiliations here just to keep things square, although I got out of line a couple weeks ago and was politely, and correctly, put in my place.

Mitsu, Sanyo, Daikin all make excellent equipment. At this time I will be happy to compare anyones equipment to Fujitsu. No bombast, which for me is saying something, just spec to spec. Fujitsu will win, and they are less expensive. Great value!

For a 1.5 ton load I would recommend the 18RMLQ. It uses 2 9k evaps. It is still the hp model but the heat does not have to be used...but once you see how it runs you will use it now and then. All of our multies are hp. I suggest a dual to get the benefit of two fans for air circulation.

Your other option is to go with two single 9 or 12 k units (models 9/12 RLQ). The most efficient units in the business at 21 seer. They will modulate down to 3,600 btu. For comparison the dual unit goes down to only 5,500 btu in the 9k unit. I think in your home it will be important for the dehu to get the lowest speed operation. Check the Fujitsu site and compare the min/max in H&C. Check the moisture removal rates and also check the min/max on amps. Check the line set length on both the duals and the singles. Great flexibility...but every house has a personality.

Did we converse here last year on your house? If you can wait a few weeks I will be in VT and can visit should you care for me to do so. If you want to move more quickly I have an excellent guy in VT who can advise. Your call!

• Ken,
    I am glad to hear your interest in the Daikin AC line. I work as a Sales Rep for Daikin in the New York area. As far as Daikin goes within my experience here in the 'tough to please' market of NYC contractors and such. Design/ build contractors love to work with the product and the sales/ service support. Daikin is NOT a new company, its over 80 years old, from Japan, and they were the pioneers in the ductless split system technology. Daikin just enetered the US in the past year or so after buying out OYL (McQuay). Daikin does way more than just ductless, it has ducted air handlers and some very advanced controls as well. Its a $10 Billion a year company, and 80% of their work is HVAC. Pretty impressive.
    Daikin offers alot of really cutting edge features with their equipment in addition to the very very long piping runs (330 ft horizontally + 164 ft vertical), low noise levels (28 Dba on some ahus), and the heating capabilities (Units heat down to 0 deg F). The 3-phase outdoor condensers can be installed outdoors (obviously) or ducted out through a louver (up to .25 inches ESP on the discharge fan) for indoor installation. You can get a centralized controller and tie into the web, you can bill tenants sharing (1) common condenser for each ahu usage, the list goes on... You should contact the local sales rep to get more information, if interested. (www.daikinac.com) Or let me know if you have any questions and I'll point you in the right direction.

• Daikin AC Units actually still give out 70% of their heating capacity down to 5 deg F without any backup heat. But, up in the Mass, VT and NH area, they will interlock the systems with auxiliary heat with an optional board.
  • Ken_40
    Only I don't need a

heating side to the unit, only A/C.

• Well, in that case I would suggest going with Daikin's 13 SEER residential heat pump. Its a heat pump, but its priced competatively with other manufacturer's cooling only models. but you get the inverter technology and the Daikin brand to boot. Whats the tonage?
  • Ken_40
    Between

one and one-and-a-half tons.

• Ok - I would go with the wall mounted: (RX15FVJU + FTXS15DVJU) single split unit. Where in the country are you located?
  • Ken_40
    Enosburg, VT

About a seven iron away from Canada, Jay Peak, VT and we get 5-10 A/C would be nice evenings a summer - tops.

I was thinking of an el-cheapo thru-the-wall unit with 13+ SEER

The zip code is 05450

Any installers nearby I can have take a look?

• Well, Daikin doesn't do the cheap-o through the wall type. Only high performance R-410A heat pumps (even the 13 seer). If you contact Daikin, give them your zip and they'll find you an installer who has joined the dealer program nearby for you.
  • J_Arthur
    J_Arthur Member Posts: 4
    Daikin Air Conditioner catalog 2007

Does anyone have a Daikin catalog published in 2007? The reason that I am looking for that catalog relates to a patent.

For example, from one of the threads in 2007, the following units were sold: RX15FVJU and FTXS15HVJU. If someone has confirmation of that, it would be great.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.