Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus GB

Options
Aaron Gibson
Aaron Gibson Member Posts: 15
Hey dudes, I was checking out the Buderus GB at the local supply house and it sure is pretty. Any real world experience
to share on them? I'm itching to install one, but I would really like to get more info from a contractor. A good firend wants to do a hot air to hot water swap and I'm thinking of trying the Buderus instead of the Ultra.

Aaron

Comments

• mikea23
    mikea23 Member Posts: 224
    Options

Boderus GB is a great boiler I have installed alot of them no major problems yet. But I still like the Ultra better its easyer to service and has top or bottom ports. If you want to try another wall hung I would look at viessmann thats a great unit

Mike A
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,970
    Options
    Pound for pound

and for dollar-value, I don't think the GB-142 has a peer. The Viessman is an excellent boiler if the budget is not an issue. I have found some of the other Mod-Cons (to borrow from a poster here a long time ago) to be made of the same materials as plastci kids yard furniture. I think the Gb has an even sleeker look than the Vitodens is is built better than alot of the rest. I have also heard some good things about the Triangle Tube Prestige. Just my experience. We have a number of GBs out there with no problems. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    We've got a few...

Out there, and the customers love them as much as we do. "What do you mean it's running"?????

The only stumbling block I've had so far, is the space needed to hang the pump module. Sometimes the wanted wall isn't quite high enough to hang it below the boiler comfortably...but I "remote mounted" one, and it works fine.

They also come with your choice of indoor or outdoor reset now too!Take your pick. 0 problems and exceptionally quiet. I also will suggest the concentric vent option to minimize wall penetrations. Chris
  • RianS
    RianS Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Buderus GB142

We have installed a few already this year with no problems. Installed several last year and had a whistling noise from the one and it turned out to be the pump speed for the indirect was set on low speed and every now and then it would whistle. Turned speed to medium and it never whistled again.
  • Aaron Gibson
    Options

Thanks guys for the info. Sounds like Buderus has another great product just as I expected.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Direct venting and noise questions

I notice that Munchkin specs no less than 8" or more than 36" apart for the direct vented intake and exhaust lines, whereas the GB 142 has about 3". Considering that the exhaust dynamics of both systems must be fairly similar, what accounts for this difference? If the 142 vents in a NE exposure, for example, it would seem that a windy day would likely result in some exhaust entering and contaminating the intake.,

Also, if the unit is installed on a sheetrocked wall on the other side of a home office, would there be significant noise or vibration issues? I guess soundproofing tape could be used on the studs before sheetrocking, and rubber grommets could be used between the plywood backboard and the sheetrock.

Thanks,

David
  • Michael Welch
    Michael Welch Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Noise

I Have installed a number of 142's including my parents house. The gas bill has droped considerably especially in November and December when it was running the baseboard at 130 degrees based on outdoor temp. when the boiler is running it cannot be heard thru the wall into my fathers office area. the only thing you can hear on occasion is the condensate pump which is screwed to the wall but if you were to mount it off the wall it would definatly be much quieter.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    No Problems yet but... Alumimum?

I was at a seminar recently for a Mod Con mfg. When the subject turned to maintenace and cleaning, I asked how this affected the warranty. Kinda got side stepped a bit.

It seems to me, that the aluminum block type boilers are not going to last as long as the stainless versions . I think we will see a whole lot of posts about combustion issues, vacumm switches, and heat transfer problems in a few years as these things cake up blocking passage ways with what I believe is aluminum hydroxide (equivalent of rust for Iron) ??

I like the Prestige- self cleaning, Low head loss, & 439 S/S
  • Mad Dog!!!!!!!!
    Mad Dog!!!!!!!! Member Posts: 157
    Options
    AS long as chemicals adverse to aluminuim are not introduced

to the system, why would it be a problem, Glenn? Mad Dog
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    On the other hand, high chloride's bad for stainless

Has the GB 142 been around for 5 yrs? That's long enough for some kind of feedback. I guess the company's point is it should be OK if it is cleaned properly on an annual basis.

David
  • Mad Dog!!!!!!!!
    Mad Dog!!!!!!!! Member Posts: 157
    Options
    If I recall correctly, the GB has been In America

around 3 years....AND in use in Holland and Europe for the last 25 WITH alum. HX. Mad Dog
  • Joe@buderus_2
    Joe@buderus_2 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    GB142

The current GB142 block design has been around for just over 15 years (2years here in the U.S.) and about 5 years before. The GB142 has just over 20 years. Proper system flow is very important for proper burner modulation. The lower the system design temperature, the higher the efficiency. At this time anti-freeze made by Rhomar and NoBurst are the only ones approved for use in the GB142. Please contact me if there are any questions. Thanks to all who posted input on the original question.
  • Aaron Gibson
    Options
    Buderus Joe

Thank you for the response. Since I started the thread, do I get a free boiler? How about a tee shirt? Up grade from coach to first class? Honorable mention?
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Aluminum rusts too

As far as I know, it still cakes up with that white crusty stuff like you see on the battery terminals in your car.

They won't let you vent with aluminum smoke pipe. Hmmmmmm
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Actually Glenn...if my memory serves me correctly

ONLY ferrous products can rust. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    How about a trip to the Fatherland?????

And ALL the SPATEN we can drink? I heard Viessman does it Joe....Just kidding, but I will pack my bags if its a go...maybe to coincide with the Next ISH??? I'll be bringing Hunt, Cook, Secor, Brad White, Ray Landry too! Mad Dog

This discussion has been closed.