Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The wonder of technological advancement...........

Options
Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,977
Borrowed a cam since my Trusty Olympus is under repair. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=299&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    She was born in a cold water tenement over 80 years ago...

Who would have thought she would live to see domestic hot water production go from a large pot on the coal stove to a small box on the wall? Ahhh progress. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    nice install

What a floor space saver and a big savings on the gas bill to .What made you opt of the rannia over another hot water heater just wondering i know that price wise for me it's a hard sale i still get people wanting to change a tank for under 300 buck i usually walk but they pay home depo guys 1200 with permit and no domestic expansion ,as always great to see you posting matt peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Thanks Clammy

To be honest, I am a big talk radio guy. Can't listen to Black Sabbath and Thin Lizzy all day, you know. For quite a few years, I had heard Paul Harvey News mention the Rinnai. I trust Paul Harvey. I've heard that Rush Limbaugh will be promoting the Rinnai now. I also watched posts at the Wall here for quite some time. Finally an opportunity presented itself and we gave them a shot. We have done a few since last summer and have had ZERO problems so far. No! They are NOT an easy sell. The extra cost is not so much the issue, but the ADDED labor to do things right: On this job, punching through the plate req'd quite a bit of re-supporting structural joist that were in the way; Increasing the gas line (these puppies can out out 180 BTU-K.) They are not for every replacement, but when they fit, they fit. Very pleased with them. When the moment of truth came at 8:00 pm that night and we flipped the switch, she came purring on and within a bout 3-5 seconds was cranking out hot water. I also plan to use the Rinnai Commercial version when we add a small hwbb or radiant zone instead of pulling a HX off the steam boilers and also where a small boiler or Mod-con is NOT in the budget. Mad Dog
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Looking good, MD

now about that concentric reduction in the steam header... ;-)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Besides the old hwh flue pipe lacking proper pitch........

This is what I say when I removed the pipe in to the breech. Amazing how guys could install equipment like this, but what is even more amazing, is that there wasn't any spillage of CO. Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yeah cute right? Yep and amazingly enough

her system is quiet - very quiet. Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Besides the old hwh flue pipe lacking any real pitch.........

This is what I found when we open the breech to cement over. Amazing how installers can sleep at night when they are too lazy to chop a higher or bigger hole, BUT what is more amazing is there was no spillage. MD

• John L
    John L Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Lizzy fan

Man, I'm glad to say I saw them live a few times. Dollar for dollar as good as any that played. First saw when i was about 17 at a small country hall back in the old country. they took "Whiskey" from an old timers song and rocked the living daylights out of it. Oh the memories!!!!!!!!!!!! make me want to go listen to some tunes.
    John L
  • John L
    Options
    That

water heater needs another wall hung companion>
    John L
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    That chimney

was undoubtedly built to pull air thru a coal bed. So it had enough power to pull enough air past that restriction to prevent spillage. I've seen this many times too.....

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I hear ya Frank.................................

But that hole is only for 3" pipe and was added only when they converted to gas 20 years ago. Short cut! Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    The Rinnai was a hard enough sell...........

She ain't rippin' out the steam in her lifetime. Mad Dog

• John L
    Options
    Just

sold my first one cuple of weeks back, they are happy so far, only him and her in the house, not big users, they had the coin for it, it is a harder sell with "families".
    John L.
  • Mad Dog!!!!!!!!
    Mad Dog!!!!!!!! Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Right, I don't see the output a problem as is the cost

to add a dump tank (if you have high demand), recirc. piping or lager house supply piping. Mad Dog
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    look at what that water heater is telliing you

Glad that WH is out of there. Look above the access panel at the bottom. See those smoke stains? BTW, where is the draft hood? Because they bought a water heater that was too tall. Everyone for years have been using the same chimney breeching instead of asking why it is so low. Maybe it was for clearances? (joke-they didn't recognize such clearances until 1927).

So, you have a heater that is above the breeching so you cheat by removing the draft hood, thus voiding the warranty and listing on the heater. Now, you install a 90 degree elbow right at the flue gas outlet! Great! Now we have a hard restriction before it even has a chance to get a head of steam up. This is called "vent connector rise" and is crucial. This is the reason codes dictate you have smaller vents enter the chimney above larger ones. They need a running start to get up and going.

Lesson's learned here: When servicing any vented equipment, you Must inspect the breeching for blockage, deterioration and assess the adequacy of that chimney for that use. If not, have it relined. When changing equipment, inspect the chimney first. If it is not suitable for the class of service, you must notify the homeowner IN WRITING! You can manifold boilers and water heaters into one liner. Open the chimney breeching as far up as you can while still meeting your clearance to the ceiling. That will provide the most vent connector rise.

All chimneys require cleanouts unless they are relined. Cleanouts are for planned failure. Think about it.

HTH
  • Kevin Pulver
    Kevin Pulver Member Posts: 67
    Options
    She looks awful good Mad Dog

And the Rinnai looks pretty good too!
    I use one with an HX to do both domestic and radiant on my small home. There was a recent post decrying that and made some good points, but the commercial model is supposed to be rated for it, and I got rid of two water heaters in the process. (Yes, I have used water heaters on occasion. Code allows it where I live, and they can be replaced later with something more efficient)
    Do you have the isolation/flush valves on that Rinnai?
    All I can see is some unions. Webstone makes some real nice valves with unions that can be used to flush the HX if it gets limed up. I'm sure you know about them. Great looking work! Kevin
  • Mad Dog!!!!!!!!
    Mad Dog!!!!!!!! Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Yes, the commercial model must be used

to maintain warranty, though I'm sure the res. model will work. Hey, If i could always get the price for a small boiler, I would use one EVERY time. However, in the real WORLD not everyone is willing to pay for better. Its hard enough getting your price....I just let them know this is NOT the best choice. I just try to make sure i use all the safeties that a boiler would have. Mad Dog
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    nice work MD

hey did johnston p&h get the home owners permission to spray paint their name on her appliance (boiler)..never seen anyone do that before..takes some balls..

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yes, as per the manuf. diagram......

we have the service valve flushing bypass. We used Wolverine Brass combo valves. Save alot of time and take up less space. Got my Olympus Cam back!!!! Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yeah a little over the top

but then again, most companies on Long Island put some kind of sticker or in our case magnet on the equipment to remind folks whom to call. They did it "economically" fer sure:
    One do-it-yerself stencil, one can of spray paint....Voila! As Mark Hunt tells his clients: "....you see that boiler in YOUR basement?????? THAT BOILER will ALWAYS be mine!!!!! That is the way I install it and that is the way I service it! ARE we CLEAR?" Mad Dog

This discussion has been closed.