Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water harrer arrestor

Options
Does anyone know about using a water hammer arrestor for a hot water system? The system i am working on has 3 zonevalves and one Taco 007,,seems the customer complaines about hammer and banging, probably caused by one valve closing while another is still calling for heat..Might be better off replacing the 007 w/a B&G 100 to help with the banging,any suggestions would be appreciated..

Comments

• Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
    Options

Ive used those on the domestic water side, but for a zone valve hammer I would install a pressure differential bypassvalve. I like the one that B&G makes as opposed to the taco.

Edit: see attatchment

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options

Installing a differential pressure balancer, or more commonly addressed as a bypass valve is always a good way of relieving some of the additional head a pump generates when only one zone is open. This helps prevent velocity, and noise issues in the zone calling at that time. Incidentally, I was reading this great book “Hydronic radiant heating’ by Dan Holohan, and I believe chapter 9 mentions water hammer when using a Honeywell valve. If the valve is closing when the circulator is still running, because an adjacent zone is calling for heat the valve has a difficult time closing against the pump head causing a loud banging noise. The Taco Differential by-pass valve model number 3196 will help remedy the problem. See attached literature
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Michael J. Brennan
    Options
    water hammer arrestor

thanks for the info guys, any preference on where you would prefer to install this valve,, the boiler now is set up w/the pump on the return (the same manner as it was packaged)and the zone valves are on the supply, i am also going to install another zone valve for a basement zone..thanks again
This discussion has been closed.