Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turbomax install pics (Ray L)

Ray Landry_3
Ray Landry_3 Member Posts: 94
And, MAN was I impressed! The recovory rating of these heaters is something to be seen, not read, because you WILL NOT believe it! We removed a 700 gallon indirect, with a Taco Heat exchanger, which for the five years had been in never worked (mostly due to scaling of the HX, 500' of 2 2/12" copper with an underzized pump feeding from the boilers to the HX, bad mixing valve, ect. We ended up relocating all of the buildings hot and cold domestic piping, and two recircs to the existing boiler room, and installed two turbo max 109 gallon indirects. I piped 2 1/2" vic for the boiler loop into the tanks, piped both tanks in parralell, and had amazing results. With the return sided of the indirects open, and the feed side closed, to allow the air to purge from the hy vent installed on the indirects, I was able to run 3 faucets and already get 120 degree water out continuosly! We installed a honeywell high-low flow mixing valve which seemed to be a much better preformer than the leanord which was exiting, and is what we're used to installing. I think I will probably definetly use that valve again! The last pic shows a little bonus of copper scrap I got from the removal of the old systems! I was more than happy to use my own truck to pull it all out, with scrap prices these days!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=463&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    Great looking work

Insulation, supports. HO here looking into Turbomax.

I had to remind myself, that, being a reverse direct, the tank volume refers to the boiler water quantity, not the relatively smaller amount stored in the coil. Which is why first hour and continuous are so close. I know the HX rate makes up for this, but I have been told over and over by pros to make sure we have the BTUs to get the required first hour rate. I'd wonder if this is prone to induce more cycling, given it's HX-based rather than storage-based.

Thanks for those pics, the first of the Turbomax on the wall I believe.

David
  • Those ain't tanks....

Those ae HEAT EXCHANGERS, and they DO kick butt.

I commisioned a new system in an apartment efficiency conversion we performed yesterday, and it had 2 Turbomax tanks in it. We set the max boiler temps at 10 degrees higher than our target tank temperature. In laymens words, we want to keep the DHW at 140 degrees F, so we set our tank target at 150 degrees F. Under SEVERE full load demand, we hold a 20 degree delta T on the source side (2 each Lochinvar 285's running at 100% of capacity) which means the source stays in the condensing mode, even while producing DHW, and they did not run out of DHW.

The only thing I'd be careful of is the possibility of lime scale occurences. If it was an issue before, its still an issue now. Look into magnetic water conditioning, or whatever you are comfortable with. If not, make provision for easy acid treatment of the heat exchangers.

If you decide to go with the magnetic conditioner, apply it to the circ return to keep size and cost down. Magnets are NOT a cheap alternative.

They (reverse indirects) do kick butt...

ME
  • Jeff Elston
    Jeff Elston Member Posts: 289
    Nice

Nice looking work Ray, I am sure your customer is pleased.

And I see that is a nice load for the balance beam!!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Moses
    Moses Member Posts: 93
    Turbomax

Nice work!

We have been using Turbomax, for 4 years now, and we are very pleased with the results. I noticed that you are using Honeywell H/L mixing valves. We find that the Apollo ATC is very reliable. The mixer will give you consistent temperrature control at flow rates as high as 60 gpm, and as low as 1.5 gpm

Moses
  • Mad Dog!!!!!!!!
    Mad Dog!!!!!!!! Member Posts: 157
    Glad to see ya back and posting so fast

Yes, we are ready to try one - very soon. Saw them at a show last year, but you know how you get locked in to using certain types of equip. and don't really have time to try new things....I have heard too many good things not to try one. Mad Dog
This discussion has been closed.