Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Toy - DF

Options
Ken_40
Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
You were using zip-ties I presume?

Comments

• Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options
    Tie Tool

I saw this tool at ISH and I picked one up from a local tool distributor yesterday. It was actually designed to tie re-bar but works nicely with PEX using a softer plastic coated wire. It makes the tie in about in about 2 sec. and clips the wire, which comes in 250' spools. We are going to test this on a job next week and I will report the results. -DF

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Nice!

I demoed one a few years back. Over 2 grand at the time, and the wire refills were $$$.

At the time they only offered a 30 day warranty. Not much for an expensive tool.

It was fast and it did work well. Be sure to adjust it so it doesn't pinch the tube to tightly.

Do you do a lot of pex to rebar installs,Dan? Do they install it on chairs to elevate it for you?

I still prefer the mesh with the rebar put down over the tube to keep the bar up into the slab.

Waiting to hear.

I'm waiting to demo this new Peter Mangone tool. They are a bit behind in orders with the huge response.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Ties

Hi Ken,

We typically use a combination of cable ties and the Wirsbo "squiggies" - short aluminum ties that twist with a hand tool. The cable ties are expensive and time consuming to attach and clip. The squiggies are hard on the back and knees on big jobs. - DF

• Dan Foley
    Options
    Tool

Hi HR,

The tool is still north of $2k and the ties are a little over $300 for 50 spools. Yes, it is expensive but nowhere near as expensive as my labor and associated overhead. We'll see how it works out but I am optimistic.

The tool will work on both re-bar and mesh. There is a sensivity dial that adjusts the tension on the ties depending on what you are attaching (pex or multi-Cor) and what you are tying it to. Most of our jobs use mesh but some of our commercial work is re-bar.

Keep us posted on the new Mangone tool. -DF

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Did you say knees?

For those of you that still have knees that go all the way - heel to butt, hire a young kid before it's too late (;-o)

• Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh Member Posts: 184
    Options
    Over a year

I have been using a Max for over a year now on mesh tie jobs. The labor savings is very dramatic indeed. Two men can typically install about 1000' per hour using that tool. We designed an extension handle that allows the operator to stand up while making the ties.

The warranty is still just 30 days on the unit, so rather than invest the $2200 in the unit, I rent it by the day for around $85. Factored into each job, the cost is minimal. If it breaks (and they do), I just call the rental dude and he zips another one right to the jobsite.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    When the ASHRAE show

Was in Atlanta, I saw that tool. One of the PEX companies had a booth nearby, so I conned one of the booth jockey's into letting me have a 5 foot piece. I walked to the MAX booth and show the gent (who didn't speak English?) what I wanted to do. He gave me the tool under close supervision and I proceeded to tie the PEX to the rebar. The PEX booth jockey was impressed as was I.

Good to see people have made use of the tie tool. The stooping would get to me but what 'Grumpy' said about the handle makes it all clear.

• RianS
    RianS Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Staple tool

HR, That looks like the staple tool we use to attach to foam board. Its a great tool, sure saves your back and knees. Rian S
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    so, after tying how many miles of this stuff...*~/:)

did someone come up with this idea? :) i think it should save plenty hours and many pairs of carharts..

the one you have yet to get , i have seen these clip type deals with micky mouse type ears on them...i kept wondering how do these clips work and what do you use to put them on the pipe..now i know :) Thank you both for sharing them.. this year i am looking to get a 2" and 1 1/2" Rehau squeezer...right now i am looking to buy a rental...i see this size pex as a way to flat Move some BTU's :)
  • G.Kaske_2
    G.Kaske_2 Member Posts: 30
    Options

I have seen these in use for some time for rebar, They have their limitations. I would bet a years salary on a well seasoned iron worker out tieing against one of those though. But I would not want his back when he is done.

Good to see some one was thinking outside the box for other applications though, glad to see it is a time saver for you guys.

Gordy
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Quip clamps

Don't know if your familiar with the QUIP Clamp. We have had a very positive response. Very reasonalble pricing - a 1/2 clip is just $.12 each, 3/4 is .14 . Trade says it cuts fastening time by 50% and is neat. See attachments
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Hot Rod is too humble

I have been using the Clip tie tool from Watts Radiant that Hot Rod helped design for years.

I noticed that the new ties I have been getting work much better than the ones from a year ago.

They include a tool to pull up on the mesh with. I never bend down for poured mesh jobs anymore!

Maybe Hot Rod can show a pic.

I can do 3,000 feet in a few hours. The straighter you keep the loops the faster you go!

Cosmo
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Options
This discussion has been closed.