Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Huge oil fired furnace

Options
Bob Gordon
Bob Gordon Member Posts: 8
Armstrong/Concord makes a oil or gas furnace that does up to 450k btu. They have 2 sizes; one a 225/250k and the larger 350/450

Comments

• big willy
    big willy Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Huge oil fired furnace

In Northern California we don't see many of these furnaces. It is a 280-300k btu oil fired furnace. I have called around to vendors but the biggest they can find are 110k btu. I know these are regularly used in other parts of the country. Can anyone give me an idea on who to call for one of these monsters?
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    oil furnace

I think that ThermoPride makes the best of the best when it comes to oil fired scortched air units. they are located in No. Judson, Indiana. Most manufacturers of warm air furnaces make units of that size. They are not that unusual here in the east.
  • Bob Gordon
    Bob Gordon Member Posts: 8
    Options
    oil furnace

Armstrong/Concord makes a oil or gas furnace that does up to 450k btu. They have 2 sizes; one a 225/250k and the larger 350/450

• John@Reliable_13
    John@Reliable_13 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Cox,

made by Boyertown (Hallmark) would be my choice. The btu's that your looking for are bigger that most res. units.These are big comm units that would be shipped in by truck.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Have you verifed via heat loss calculation that you actually need a furnace of that size? The "nameplate sizing method" can easily result in a greatly oversized unit.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Furnace

Dravo makes very large industrial furnaces.
  • big willy
    Options
    I was

> Have you verifed via heat loss calculation that

> you actually need a furnace of that size? The

> "nameplate sizing method" can easily result in a

> greatly oversized unit.

• big willy
    Options
    I was

going to go down that road when I first looked at the job but the coustomer told me he only wanted to heat a small area of the house and he had the vents off for alot of the home. Its 3800 sq' 1907 with almost no improvements. We talked about the furnace over heating and I honestly made a swag at the btu load for the area he wanted to heat. I found out that he had a 1.10 GPH nosel in the burner and its rated for 1.25-2.35 . so it looks like after all the help from the folks on the wall we just need about 120K and thats easy to find. One cool thing is the furnace has a stamped steel shevron logo on the door. He told me 45 years ago when they pulled the old coal gravity furnace out the oil co. sent out a tech and he had to hire a sheet metal guy to put together the duct.
This discussion has been closed.