Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Laars Master

Options
Glen
Glen Member Posts: 855
I will chat later then.

Comments

• Glen
    Options
    Pennant 1750

While this is the backup unit - it has given nothing but grief since the install (by others) last year. B1 works beautifully. Intermittent power to TP 7, Fenwal ignition control for stage 3 and 4 in lockout. Stage one and two will not fire but not locked out. This is mode 6/manual. Ideas?
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

send an email to Bill Marchant at:

Bmarchant@laars.com

He can help...great guy.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Paul B._2
    Paul B._2 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Pennant Lock outs

Hi Glenn,

Give us a call tomorrow, I'm at the factory, 603-335-6300 x 562 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Eastern time. If you're on the west coast the service department opens at 6:00 am Pacific time. 800-900-9276.

I can give you a few things to check, and put you in touch with one of the territory service managers if necessary.

Paul B.
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Gas Pressure Switches

I had a problematic one as well last fall. The gas pressure switches are finicky. There are two terminals on the control board that can temporarily bypass the switches to verify if that is the problem.

The other thing I learned is not to use anything but the OEM Hot-Surface Igniters. While the other HSI do match up, the depth of insertion into the combustion chamber is important and the alternate HSI's were a ½" shorter which caused me some nuisance lock-outs. Have you checked the Ohm's resistance on the HSI?

Regards,

PR
  • Glen
    Options
    air switches

are definitely in a world of their own - and gave some trouble early on. The HSI's are both within limits (56 ohms +/- 1 ohm). And have both OEM switch and HSI on hand if necessary. Would be interested for diagnostics purposes only in bypassing switches - do you recall which terminals?? The item that really confuses is this - there is a call for heat - but unit does not even initiate start sequences, eg. combustion fan does not start.
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Options
    Glen

On the wiring terminal board, (as opposed to the printed circuit board) there are two terminals for "Other Int" (Interlocks) The IOM might even show it with a factory jumper but I think it is removed if shipped with the previously mentioned gas pressure switches. Those terminals can be jumpered temporarily for troubleshooting. (It will be a NO and Com terminal, 2nd row from the bottom - middle two terminals)

I tried downloading the manual but the website is not responding. Let me know how it works out for you.

Regards,

PR
  • Glen
    Options
    OK -

those terminals are jumpered with a factory installed jumper, but that is exactly the error that flashes intermittently. I will be phoning factory service shortly.
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Options
    Glen

Call me at 402-610-2974. I would like to give you an alternate phone # to call but don't think I should post it on The Wall.

Regards,

PR
  • Glen
    Options
    thanks

that was a very helpful contact. Will let you know how it goes later.
  • Glen
    Options
    its 0630 -

and the pool hasn't called with with low pool temps or air temps - which means the little darling survived the night. Thanks again Paul -
    Now if I can get the controls guys to reconfigure the staging - ............
  • starplumb1
    starplumb1 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Laars Pennant

Two Laars Pennant PNCVO500 boilers-DHW only..fine all winter until last two weeks now intermittently hit service fault..no regularity to it..simple reset starts and runs fine for week..then..no info on service code in manual..not familiar w these..simple system, not many components.gas regs and flow switch..both boilers will do this at same time.not just one so we lose hot water completely.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Lockout on ignition failure

The Fenwal ignition control will lock out and needs reset on an ignition failure. Get a hold of the manual it gives the info you need for things to check, CO2 readings, manifold gas press, ohm readings of igniter. You might look at the heat exchanger too. You can remove the igniter and sort look thought the opening to see if the coils are clogged and perhaps effecting flame rectification. The Laars tech guys are great help too.
This discussion has been closed.