Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Granite pavers for snow melt

Mars_3
Mars_3 Member Posts: 65
Hey guys, Ive got a snow melt system that the contractor want to use tumbled granite pavers on. The pavers are approx, 6" W. X 9" L. X 3" deep. The sub base for the system is compresed road base, on that I have a thermal break, followed by my 6X6 wire mesh with tube attached, onto that is 3" of low sillica sand. all the paver systems Ive ever done have been the man made interlocking type. My concern is that the pavers will move around due to the un even edges that are inherent in this system. Has any one done a system of this kind before? If so is there anything I need to be aware of. Thank for any and all input. Matt R.

Comments

• Steven Gronski
    Steven Gronski Member Posts: 98
    I have done............

a side walk apron on a house with cobblestones, that are about the same size as what your saying in the granite stones. I had a clay base, with a foil double bubble poly insulation barrier, 2 " of stone dust, and the cobble stones placed on the 2" of stone dust with stone dust filling in the joints between the cobblestones, it has been in for 2 years now and I have had no complaints or call backs on it. I would tghink you could drive a car on it as well if you wanted to.......I think your situation would work if the stones are tight with out a ton of movement.
    Steve

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Michael Welch
    Michael Welch Member Posts: 43

We Did a driveway snow melt job using pavers. Base layer if i remmeber right was a crushed stone / stone dust base 1 foot deep for good drainage. Then we used insultarp for the insulation layer. Put the wire mesh ontop of the insultarp. Installed the tubing and coverd with a layer of 2 - 3" of stone dust. The pavers were installed and came out awesome. I thought the same thing that the pavers would move around considering the base but the do not.
  • kewinvilson
    kewinvilson Member Posts: 1
    Need Suggestion For My New Construction

I am planning to construct my dream house and I have several plans for its construction. I am planning to use various modelled granites, which are durable and beautiful with unrivalled qualities. As a part of my search for best paver's I came across Granite cobblestone, Porphyry paver's and many others. I want to use them in my house. Are they worthy? Anyone used these before, Any suggestions will be highly helpful.
This discussion has been closed.