Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What temp does water turn to steam?

Mitch_4
Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
you cannot have a hard boiled egg at certain elevations..while the water is hot enough,the temperature is too low to hard boil.

"On top of Mt. Everest (29,028 feet although that was recently adjusted a tad to 29,035 feet), water boils at 154.5 degrees F"

I tried it once and you cannot do it, but it makes a great soft boiler..no mistakes even after 15 minutes

Comments

• C.Wolff
    C.Wolff Member Posts: 1
    Steam temp.

At what temp does water turn to steam?
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    depends :)

whats your pressure?
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Steam

Water boils @ 212° F . Add to this 972 Btu's you have latent heat of evaporation .
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    At Sea Level

Jim is correct, 212 F. it is.

At 5,000 feet and atmospheric pressure it is about 203 degrees F.

In Peru (say 13,000 feet) water boils at 187.8 degrees F.

On top of Mt. Everest (29,028 feet although that was recently adjusted a tad to 29,035 feet), water boils at 154.5 degrees F.

Outside of a Lear Jet at 45,000 feet water boils at- wait, what the heck are you doing out there with a tea kettle? Never mind...
  • wsdave
    wsdave Member Posts: 97
    You're a HOOT Brad!!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

I love reading your posts!

Dave
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    Don't

encourage him Dave, we won't get any work done.

:-))))
  • wsdave
    LOL

I work nights so this is my "downtime".

Nothing like a quiet house to read Wall posts!!!

Beats payin' bills!!!!

Dave
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    You could always make yourself

a cup of tea, Dave. Come in off of that wing. I knew it would be you.

:)
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    How about the other way?

My daughter and I were talking about thermal conversion, i.e. one BTU removed fro one pound of water will drop the temp of said water 1° Fahrenheit. Thirty-four degrees to 33° takes 1 BTU and 33° to 32° is 1 BTU.

The I asked her how many to get water at 32° to ice at 32°? She said one, then looked at me with the 'Is that correct?' look on her face. I replied that I thought it was 144 BTU's.

Is that right?

I wanted to get to the water to steam, but we got to school. Thanks to Jim for not letting me make a bigger fool out of myself, as I now will remember that it takes 972 BTU's to turn water to steam at 212° sea level...
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Jeff,

It's a tad early to be hittin' the sauce, isn't it?

And remember, ice becomes hardest...

@ zero degrees Kelvin; which is the temperature you and I like our SoCo - if memory serves.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    SoCo?

ugh....

At ANY temp!

Still love ya.

Press 1 if you speak English

Press 2 to disconnect until you can..
  • Ken_40
    Must have been

Linda...
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Maybe...

I'll tell her about this thread.
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    A simple and understandable answer...

Water boiles at any temperature above 92F... depending on the pressure (absolute pressure) and things disolved in it... (pure water boils at 92 F at 0 PSI Absolute - about 30" vacuum).

At 14.7 PSI Absolute (Sea Level) and with no significant inpurities disolved in it... It boils at 212 F.

Where I work we have many tons of water at about 600 F that does not boil at all... due to the pressure.

So - the real question is... What temperature above 92F do you need it to boil at... Answer that and we can tell you what conditions you have to creat for that to happen.

Brad... I hope you like tepid Tea... I've got about 100,000 galons of about 94 F "boiling" water for you.

Perry
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Jeff- You are going the other way??

Oh, temperature. Never mind...

I think your daughter had it right, presuming you are talking a pound of water/ice. Wait- that was you- 144 right.

What I find neat about all this is, a glass of ice will remain at 32 degrees as it melts so long as there is some ice left... how water is most dense at 39 degrees F and thankfully for the shear fact that water is one material that expands as it freezes. If ice became more dense than the water from which it was formed, the oceans lakes and ponds would freeze solid.

I think that is, in a word, cool.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    yeah, yeah, yeah

All I need to know is how many BTU's to make water at 32° into ice at 32°?
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    94F Tepid? what about ice tea then?

Oooh, that's what a dash of SoCo in the teapot is for. OK, don't ask, it's a cool substitute for the fancier Earl Grey. -How do you think these Earl people make these selections if not by ending up rolling under the table? It only starts out as high tea... 45,000 feet is about the highest. Fun Brad.

• j.osborne
    j.osborne Member Posts: 2

just sit in your house next to the stove... heat a pot of water...you get steam before the point of boiling??? steam is the evaporation of water from your pot, the hotter the water the more "steam" will be produced.
  • Ken_40
    Perhaps you confuse

vaporization of hot water into relatively drier atmosphere with water actually changing its state and the BTU's that are always associated with the water-to-steam (a true gas - WHICH IS INVISIBLE BTW) event?
  • Brad White
    It is all the same

(EDIT: Passive) Evaporation still takes (the same number of BTUs per pound) both to boil water into vapor. This is most identifiabe in air conditioning, (the condensing process) to remove water vapor from the air. AC is not free :)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • wsdave
    Respectfully Disagree

I have to respectfully disagree that evaporation is taking place while removing moisture in A/C.

The evaporator is at a temperature that lowers the dew point of the imcoming air. This moisture is collected on the evaporator and thus drops to the condensate pan.

I know, I know - you say pOtAtoes and I say pOHtAHtoes.

Dave
  • Brad White
    Obviously the process

is called "condensing". I did not state it well, rather was refering to the energy transfer going either way, specifically that the same number of BTU's is given up or absorbed regardless if passive evaporation or is boiled in a boiler.

Thanks for calling me on it. It should have been stated more clearly.

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.