Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sand instead of Concrete/Gypcrete??

Ericjeeper
Ericjeeper Member Posts: 179
sand is so hot on top you can barely endure the pain. Then wiggle your feet down into the sand.. wahlah. instant relief. Sand is a very poor conductor of heat. Now Crushed limestone on the otherhand.. will have to wiggle em in quite a bit deeper to reach a cooler point.

Comments

• Warmfoot_2
    Warmfoot_2 Member Posts: 4
    Alternative Overpour

I have a contractor, actually the architect who refuses to pour concrete or gypcrete on top of a subfloor. We do quite a few jobs a year with them and on previous projects, have done dry systems ranging from Climate Panel to just an air space between sleepers. My question is, has anybody installed a dry system between sleepers and poured sand on top? I have heard of it, but never seen or done it. If so, are there special types of sand to use? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ernie Bogue
    Master Hydronics LLC
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    This \"idea\" pops....

up every two months....More of an "old wives tale" ...still is a bad idea...it will insulate more than anything. A better idea would be plates on top of the floor w/ sleepers.kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    sand

Thank you! I love your explanation. I get this question every week. We are a Rapid Floor Gypsum concrete applicator and I hear this shortcut weekly. Not only doesn't it conduct heat well but it will be a dusty mess in your house forever. Picture an hour glass- OK now picture your house as the structure drys out and settles. Yea not pretty is it. Leave the sand outside in the sandbox.
  • Dave Larsen_2
    Dave Larsen_2 Member Posts: 53
    Ant Farm

Might I suggest covering the floor with plexiglass? within a couple of years you may be able to charge admission to the worlds largest ant farm!
This discussion has been closed.