Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate in Septic Systems

Options
Stephen C.
Stephen C. Member Posts: 60
Should the condensate from the mod/con boiler drain directly into the septic or be neutralized first or not go in there at all ? What options are there if not the septic tank ?

Stephen C.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dillution is the solution to pollution...

The amount of condensate your mod con will generate is a small quantity compared to other domestic water usage within the home that ends up in the septank. That said, I don't think the acidity will be relevant to the bacterial action within the septank.

Neutralization has to do with the connected drain pipes ability to withstand the acidic nature of the condensate.

In other words, if ALL of your pipes leading to the septank are plastic, neutralization probably is not required. (With the approval of the AHJ if needed)

IF you have metal pipes of any sort between the condensate production point and the septank, then neutralize.

If you had some way to recover the condensate and pump it out to coniferous trees, they'd probably thank you...(Pine trees like acidic soil)

What I would NOT suggest is a dry well scenario in your basement floor, unless you're really into spelunking ;-)

ME
  • Stephen C.
    Stephen C. Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Concrete and Acidic condensate

Thanks Mark.

All the connected pipes are ABS plastic.

I was mildly concerned with the effect on the tank itself.

I have seen tanks that are failing at the 'water line' in under 10 years.

I do not want my client asking me pointed questions if and when the tank deteriorates.

And yes there are lovely pines all around doing rather well without much assistance.

Stephen C.
This discussion has been closed.