Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heater Problem

Options
Leo
Leo Member Posts: 770
Call a Pro. You already paid money for a new thermostat you may not have needed. I have gone into homes that they did the same thing, messed with it all day in a cold house only to call at the end of the day and pay the after hours rate. With in an hour the problem is fixed. It is often times cheaper and quicker to have someone else do it. Most heating systems run flawlessly, when they do break it isn't a simple fix for the user.

Good Luck,
Leo

Comments

• Steve_148
    Steve_148 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Heater Problem

Suddenly my home heater (forced air gas) stopped working. I thought I had narrowed it down to the thermostat because if I took the batteries out of the thermostat and reinstalled, the heater would work for a while. I installed a brand new thermostat. Initially it worked, but the heater only works for a few minutes (maybe 10-15) and never gets the temperature up. The thermostat thinks it is still commanding heat (says heat on), but nothing happens. If I manually set a temp lower than actual temp, wait for the thermostat to say "heat off" and then reset to a higher temp - it comes on again for a few minutes. It never heats the house up. Any ideas?
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Leo's right.

Your problem could be as simple as a heat anticipator adjustment, to a control module inter-safety-lock on the furnace.

These damn things can make a pro frustrated, the danger is; if you blow up the house and kids, who YOU gonn'a take to court? (;-o)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Simple test...

You obviously have enough skill to replace the stat, so this shouldn't be too tough.

Take the two wires going to the stat and wire them together, If your furnace turns on and stays on, its the thermostat that is bad. If the furnace continues to short cycle, then the problem is within the furnace.

ME
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Mark

You think these people may have air conditioning?

I suggest they put the red and white wire together.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    One big wire nut...

wire everything together, and if every thing turns on at the same time, it's not a thermostat issue...

You're right Jeff, I ASSumed he was dealing with a heating only appliance. I have a tendency to do that seeings as how I usually only work on heating systems...

Thanks for the catch.

ME
  • Steve_148
    Steve_148 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Call a Pro!

I did finally call a Pro - bad gas valve. Problem solved! Sometimes it's definitely worth calling the Pro! Thanks for all the input!
This discussion has been closed.