Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant cooling

Options
GMcD
GMcD Member Posts: 477
Check the windows being used- make sure they are specified as high performance triple glazed or suspended film Heat Mirror type. Then also review and police up exterior solar shading. The radiant floor cooling only has a limited "output" of 11-12 btuh/SF so as a result, the envelope and heat gains have to be reverse designed to not exceed that limit. If there are rooms that exceed that 12 btuh/SF coolign load limit, then you'll have to supplement with the ventilation air cooling into that room - a re-cool coil on the branch duct can do that.

If you are going to be the guy responsible for making the radiant cooling work, then you should take a crash course in envelope design along with solar gain control and window specifications. If those components aren't done right, you'll get the blame for comfort conditions not being met.

Comments

• marc hauger
    marc hauger Member Posts: 1
    Options
    radiant cooling

I live in Missoula, MT and am working on a very interesting house. It's ICF construction, that will be net zero. It is going to be radiant, with a ground source heat pump and solar electric panels connected to the grid. Solar panels are to be sized to produce what the house will consume annually, net zero. So I would like to do this system continuous circulation for both heating and cooling. Most efficient I've read. The house is 3300 sqft first floor slab on grade with a 2nd floor master suite that is 1000 sqft. In the master suite I will put tubing in the floors and walls. It is going to have an HRV which I'm told will give us a controlled dew point of 42 degrees. I've been reading everything I can find on the internet. Any experiences out there I'd like to hear about, controls as well. I'm looking into the Roth mixing manifolds. marc
This discussion has been closed.