Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

C/A the only prob?

Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
Plenty of flow on that beast. So, Dave- what are you going to do with this one?

You will be a hero for sure.
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• The gas utility authority says,

combustion-air supply is the only problem here, other than that, the hook-up is fine. This is in a commercial office, see any probs from these two pics? BTW- Condensation runs across the floor. Customer wonders if P/S is viable!

Dave
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    That poor Slant/Fin Galaxy

probably breaks a sweat 30 seconds before it fires. This job is as good a candidate for P/S as I've seen.

Also check to see if those ancient B&G Boosters are oversized.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Like I told,

you before Frank,,very very common here. Ever feel like it`s you against the world, when it comes to this stuff? Trying to get re-pipes here is like, "forget-it" when you`re up against this! BTW- Remember the Pool-Hall Frank?, still the same! Man I gotta move,,,,

Dave
  • Tried that many

times Brad, read my above post again,,,I edited-it.

Dave
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
  • Appreciate that Ted,

but I can`t even get this guy off thinking combustion-air is his only prob.

Dave
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    Patience Dave

Just sell him a modcon. Now that would be a green investment that would put some green in your pocket. BTW, the feds are coming out with a new energy savings rebate program soon. I just did one of the last audits under the old program.

Sell him a boiler on savings Dave. Then you can pipe the new boiler properly. Customers aren't plumbers and therefore don't always understand piping but they do understand savings. The best part is you have to make the number up. LOL

I'd say 20-40% for a modulating condensing boiler over what's there and this one is doomed. A lot of those savings will come from not having that big flue always exhausting heat. Better comfort, looks, efficiency, reliability...

Sell!!! L Whoops... I was supposed to be preaching patience.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    So,

you Canadians call your Government "the Feds" too, huh? Well, yours do wear better uniforms. :)

Patience indeed, Uni, that boiler will need replacement sooner than next hockey season.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Heard that,

and Uni is an old friend Brad but on my side of the border, economics are very different here. Ever really try "going-it-alone"? Biggest mistake I ever did was "thinking" I could change things in my area. But I showed you the pics(Uni saw beforehand), and it`s a waste of time.

Dave
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Interestingly

the Slant/Fin I&O manual for this boiler doesn't mention P/S piping.

Yes I remember the pool hall.... wanna start a pool on when that boiler will die?

I can't see how a simple P/S like the one in this pic would be considered too expensive.....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • I Will

most certainly take your word for-it Frank, I did`nt mean anything smart OK? I was trying to be humble, my apologies if it backfired.

Dave
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    That wasn't

pointed at you, but at the idiots who do these bad installs and the owners who don't want to listen to you.

In the case of the W-M, it might help if you show them the relevent portions of the I&O manual. If that doesn't work, at least you tried.

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    that is brutal....

the H.P. of the circs over shadows the boiler.

no bypass could help it *~/:)

the supply and return to the boiler would need to be tied into the middle of both the supply and return header married together...then cut a pump control on the boiler and either a 4 way mixing valve or force pump by pass......maybe,... That would help...i dunno looks over the top.
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Dave

Enbridge or Union Gas? They do not care about the install so long as it meets code..they want the gas inthe pipe and care nothing about the water side..not their business. And mmost utility techs dont know squat about installation.

So long as the combustion is safe, they do not care if the thing runs like crap...call a service man..the gas is fine. Gas bills to high..pipe is ok, call a service man. eneven heat..gas is ok, call a service man, niosy operation...gas ok...you get the idea...

• Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    P/s won't protect that poor critter

It will still run cold. That needs P/S with a mixing valve on the boiler return.

Boilerpro

• Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Mitch... on the other hand

The Enbridge guy who checked my boiler installation went through all of my boiler documentation and was very concerned that there wasn't a check valve on the return from the indirect. Never mind that the indirect's domestic side wasn't hooked up, the isolation valves were closed, the wiring disconnected and that the 15-58 for the indirect has a built-in flow check which took a for attempts before he believed me.

He also checked the air gap on the condensate drain and more... and all I wanted him to do was turn on the gas so I'd have heat and I could finally try out the boiler.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Brad, I wonder if our federal government was called the "doms" back in the days where we were a dominion instead of a federation? I still feel like their subbie.
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Uni

Yes there are some that know what it is about, but they are few ( I used to work at a utility, try explaining primary/secondary and the eyes glaze, or hackles raise)( I got deregulated out of a job)

There a re guys from the field that know, and are interested in futhering their education, but in my experience they are RARE!

Your guy wont be there long, he'll be your competition soon...
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Uni and Dave

I am beginning to see a picture here... Blisteringly cold winters, high fuel costs, low to idling economic engine speed, health care is a giant HMO that you cannot get out of, speech is curtailed and the national sport is a notch above Curling, your indiginous population has an alcohol problem.

Why not move south and get most of these plus real baseball?
  • Uni R_2
    Oh Brad! LOL

Okay Brad, here it is for the record.

Blistering cold winters? That depends on where you live. The vast majority of us Canucks are within 100 miles of USA. Dave and I are about 200 miles apart but both live only a few miles across water from your "Homeland". Even up north, the last I heard, you could traverse the Arctic Passage in a simple sailboat.

Energy costs here, like there, are actually far too cheap. Somehow, we as Canadians have the dubious distinction of being the most wasteful users of energy on Earth. We use more energy per capita than any nation.

As nations, we're both spending approx. 65% of our GDP servicing debt, so I can't say either country has or will have a very robust economy any time soon. I don't tend to agree with using consumption measures to be a gauge of "goodnes" so I won't fret if we aren't always maintaining our typical 10% of your gross numbers.

Universal healthcare to me is like public education. Are you against universal access to public education?

I wasn't even aware of our speech being curtailed so I'll give kudos to the government if they are doing it... if so, they're actually doing something well for a change. The only time I have heard it being affected was when the release of publication details related to notorious trials were delayed until they wouldn't adversely affect the outcome of the case.

The official national sport is lacrosse. They play this sport far more in New England than here.

Curling isn't really a sport, it's a drinking game. Isn't Bonspiel pig latin for "big drunk".

When the NHL expansion happened in '67, the NHL was converted from a Canadian sport into US entertainment (until then only American cities with true heart and worthy climates like Boston, Chicago, D
  • Brad,

SO,,,THERE!!! LOL.

Dave
  • Brad White_9
    I, I, I....

I'm not sure what to say! Hee hee. Sorry about you getting shot, Uni. I meant to just have it whiz by you. :) Canadians are per-capita energy gluttons? I learn new things every day here. I think I triggered something.

As for indiginous peoples, we too have several serious drinking towns with fishing problems.

No worry about your wife's vote. I will count it for all of us. No problem with access to health care (we have that, no one is really turned away) but we have more choices. We do not have to sign up at birth to get hip replacements at 65 for example. :)

Geography- Still- despite the difference, the real cold does seem to stop at the border. Our cold weather is named in Canadian terms: "The Montreal Express", an "Alberta Clipper" and a "Newfoundland Doofus". I made that last one up.

But back to geography: 27 of our United States are actually north of the southernmost part of Canada. Even Utah and Kah-Lee-For-Nee-Yah have portions north in latitude of Canada's southernmost point.

http://barelybad.com/north_of_canada_map.htm

So there. :)

Affectionately,

Brad
  • Uni R_2
    www.barely-brad.com

Phew... I was worried opening that link. I though it might be more shots of you snorkelling in snowbanks with both you and the viewers suffering equally from exposure! L
  • Brad White_9
    Periscope Up!

Funny **** you are, Uni.

Cruel.

But funny. :)
This discussion has been closed.